Is this enough attic ventilation? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Originally posted by Carnak
    I always thought that venting the attics was first off a northern thing, to stop condensation in the winter.

I can see a house in the summer, with poor ceiling insualtion benefitting from a power venter, however sometimes they can depressurize the whole home.

I do not have to worry about the cold weather where I am now, and I think it is better not to vent the attic as it just allows more humidity in.

We had a guy from some icynene (sp?) down here a while back and they promote insulating the whole pitch of the roof and sealing the top of the walls to the roof. May only end up with a 100 degree attic this way. It also seems to rely on leaky supply ducts for additional cooling in the attic.

Seems like a good way to go in the hot humid environment, insulate the pitch with something that does not trap moisture and keep the humid air out.
    I see 80-90F in the summer in south GA with an unventilated attic.

Originally posted by tuccillo
    Originally posted by Carnak
    I always thought that venting the attics was first off a northern thing, to stop condensation in the winter.

I can see a house in the summer, with poor ceiling insualtion benefitting from a power venter, however sometimes they can depressurize the whole home.

I do not have to worry about the cold weather where I am now, and I think it is better not to vent the attic as it just allows more humidity in.

We had a guy from some icynene (sp?) down here a while back and they promote insulating the whole pitch of the roof and sealing the top of the walls to the roof. May only end up with a 100 degree attic this way. It also seems to rely on leaky supply ducts for additional cooling in the attic.

Seems like a good way to go in the hot humid environment, insulate the pitch with something that does not trap moisture and keep the humid air out.
    I see 80-90F in the summer in south GA with an unventilated attic.
    Do you read Joe Lstiburek's work or HE mag?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345