This particular company does the best work in town but only sell goodman and maytag. Are these any good? also for the unit I have now, does it matter what speed the fan inside the unit is on? high, med, low?

thanks

They are both good units when installed properly. Goodman is made by, well Goodman and Maytag is made by Nordyne.

If you feel comfortable with the company then go with their best recommendation.

As for your 2nd question, we have no idea what you have so we don't know what the speed should be on.

With a properly sized system however, the cooling speed is normally high.

Your contractor should know what's best.

Where are you located?
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

I take the Goodman over the Maytag... Cuz, I wouldn't personally have anything that was made by Nordyne!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    i don't care for either,but if they really are the best in town,that is likely a good choice.Is it Peaden A/C ?

a/c don

to answer your question, I am located in North Alabama. My problem with my a/c now is that when it gets above 90 or above the efficency breaks down and the temp. rises before the day is over to about 5 or 6 degrees above the setpoint. Nothing has been changed to my house and all filters have been changed. I finally had a guy come over and he fixed some problem where the air was leaking form the unit to the airhandler and turned the speed of the fan from med to high and that has worked better but still not 100%. again my unit works great up until about 90 plus degrees. also answer me this I have a rheem 10 seer unit and I know rheem is not that good but it is only 4 years old and was here before I moved in. When they talk about "seer" what does that mean?

thanks

Re: a/c don

Originally posted by hotinthesouth
    to answer your question, I am located in North Alabama. My problem with my a/c now is that when it gets above 90 or above the efficency breaks down and the temp. rises before the day is over to about 5 or 6 degrees above the setpoint. Nothing has been changed to my house and all filters have been changed. I finally had a guy come over and he fixed some problem where the air was leaking form the unit to the airhandler and turned the speed of the fan from med to high and that has worked better but still not 100%. again my unit works great up until about 90 plus degrees. also answer me this I have a rheem 10 seer unit and I know rheem is not that good but it is only 4 years old and was here before I moved in. When they talk about "seer" what does that mean?

thanks
    I would keep the Rheem over the Maytag or Goodman.

Seasonal
    Energy
    Efficency
    Rating

10 is the current minimum allowed by law.

Was it the original installing company that came ouot and checked it, or just a company you picked out of the phone book.

Rheem makes a good a/c unit.

You might just have dirty coils.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?