Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikek15 View Post
    $8-12 hour is for non-union jobs. In the northeast part of the country. The first year apprentice is making $ 16 hour with pension and benefits. Pay rate increases every year. Upon completion of the 5 year training. Working through this time. Your pay increased to $36 B-rate hour. A- rate tech get $46hr. Why would you work a non-union job is beyond me. Good luck.
    I don't think it is too easy to get to the union.

Quote Originally Posted by FL.HVAC View Post
    Down here in south Florida most residential techs start between 10-12 and commercial techs start around 12-14. All depends on you though. You've got to prove your self. Most newbies coming out of school down here don't have much work ethic.
    Im in SoFl as well and the starting residential pay is right around $12 as FLHVAC said but i think commercial may be closer to $15, but from then on its up to you

Hi guys,

I am a mid life apprentice who is going to get a crack at hvac. Right now, I am a pre apprentice taking sources at a local hvac school that has a outstanding reputation. I have been doing okay in the program. Instructor started with basic electronics and that was old hat for me "took 2 years of it in the 1990s" so he asked me what AC and DC was and I started back to the invention of AC from Dc to its current use.

I am a motivated technician. I love to diagnose...first in my head then on the system. I have been a helicopter technician in the USAF, 2 years avionics electronics collage, then auto mechanic with some time in IT technical support services. Presently do both automotive and IT as a self employed person.
    The union president said after five years, if you are still with the union, you will be bringing in a large income. The union here is strong in BC. All 1000 union employees companies charge the same, so no more customer jumping from company to company "This drives me nuts giving a estimate for car repairs then customer does not call back going to the next shop"

Only downside here is the weather. We get 40 inches of rain a year. Most days in the winter "starting in october till march" it rains most of the time. I could consider kelowna if I cannot handle the weather much anymore but also, a drop in my income.

Now, So far, I like what I will be working on in school. Does not have the expensive headaches of working on cars "always upgrading tools and buying news tools" Its not as technical either so, you charge for what time you spend unlike automotive where diagnosis can take hours, but cannot charge all that time to the customer.

On the other point, there is the physics and trade math. That will come with time.

Money is not my motivation. Doing a good job every time, then the money will come afterwords.

Quote Originally Posted by lortech View Post
    Hi guys,

I am a mid life apprentice who is going to get a crack at hvac. Right now, I am a pre apprentice taking sources at a local hvac school that has a outstanding reputation. I have been doing okay in the program. Instructor started with basic electronics and that was old hat for me "took 2 years of it in the 1990s" so he asked me what AC and DC was and I started back to the invention of AC from Dc to its current use.

I am a motivated technician. I love to diagnose...first in my head then on the system. I have been a helicopter technician in the USAF, 2 years avionics electronics collage, then auto mechanic with some time in IT technical support services. Presently do both automotive and IT as a self employed person.
    The union president said after five years, if you are still with the union, you will be bringing in a large income. The union here is strong in BC. All 1000 union employees companies charge the same, so no more customer jumping from company to company "This drives me nuts giving a estimate for car repairs then customer does not call back going to the next shop"

Only downside here is the weather. We get 40 inches of rain a year. Most days in the winter "starting in october till march" it rains most of the time. I could consider kelowna if I cannot handle the weather much anymore but also, a drop in my income.

Now, So far, I like what I will be working on in school. Does not have the expensive headaches of working on cars "always upgrading tools and buying news tools" Its not as technical either so, you charge for what time you spend unlike automotive where diagnosis can take hours, but cannot charge all that time to the customer.

On the other point, there is the physics and trade math. That will come with time.

Money is not my motivation. Doing a good job every time, then the money will come afterwords.
    So what do you want? a cookie?

Quote Originally Posted by lortech View Post
    Now, So far, I like what I will be working on in school. Does not have the expensive headaches of working on cars "always upgrading tools and buying news tools" Its not as technical either .
    Ya, good thing it's not. I would hate to have to climb in some guys 140 F attic and drop a transmission!

I typically hire techs in around 11 to 12 dollars per hour...every dude I've ever hired right out of school ending up being an epic failure so I don't even look for those types anymore...generally just try to get someone that has had about 5 years exp. If they survive the first couple months we take them up in salary. Installers are 8 to 11 starting out, I like to hire people with experience but most of the time it ends up being someone with marginal to extensive work in other trades such as plumbing, electrical, remodeling, framing, welding, and the like. I try to run from the guys that tell me they have experience and then deeper into the conversation they tell you they helped their cousin install some duct work under grannies house.
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"-Dr. Strangelove (1964)

When you mean a epic failure such as?

Was it a function of not having fundamentals down, lack of common sense, to rushed and making mistakes? not asking enough questions? or personality issues? If it was training, was it the schools fault?

Staight out of school i got hired on at 12, but as a helper. Once i know what im doing it will move to 14 in around a year. After 2 years 16.
    No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived of what the Lord God has prepared for those who LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!! .J.I.L.

wages are a shame in the US

in the 1950s, a Iron worker could have made as much as 70,000 per year.

In the early 70s, a high school graduate with no secondary education could work at a factory making 17-19 dollars per hour.

Today, I am up here in BC Canada where wages are better. But now, it is way more expensive then what I was told how it was in the 1980s.

Eric555, don't sweat the low pay. It seems to be the norm here in N.C. Best thing to do is get the experience and move up from their. I started fresh out of trade school @ $7.50/hr back in NYC. My best pay so far was working for NYC @ almost 30/hr. I currently work for a very good company paying very well ( $25/hr+) as a chiller tech. It took me 12 years of a$$ busting to work up to this point. The best part is if you feel your not getting what you want you can always go work for someone else. Good luck and have fun,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by gtgrad View Post
    Staight out of school i got hired on at 12, but as a helper. Once i know what im doing it will move to 14 in around a year. After 2 years 16.
    once you get out of school, it generally takes a year just to realize that you don't know what you're doing, lol
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    once you get out of school, it generally takes a year just to realize that you don't know what you're doing, lol
    Ha, i told an employee i now feel confiedent, he looked at me and said, now ur gonna start to f@@@ stuff up, lol
    No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived of what the Lord God has prepared for those who LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!! .J.I.L.

Quote Originally Posted by gtgrad View Post
    Ha, i told an employee i now feel confiedent, he looked at me and said, now ur gonna start to f@@@ stuff up, lol
    I am in the position right now. I go on call this weekend for the first time. I truly believe i can do it, It's going to take me longer to figure out the problems, but my goal is not to **** stuff up! I know just enough to be dangerous. LOL

If it helps the original poster any i make a very low wage. If i can prove i can make the boss money without ****ing stuff up i will get a raise. If i **** stuff up i won't. The ball is in my court now.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast