Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    it always takes longer than they say it will, promise big bucks straight out the door, thats how they make their money, a tech that is honest and willing to help a customer regardless of their own pocket book is priceless in this industry , ive been behind several tech school wanna be's this week who wanted to sell new systems, because they got commissions on sales, to find simple problems, fixed with minimal effort, customer happy,so when there is a real need, guess who will get the sale?????
    The 2008 NATE TOP TECH!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hvacman14 View Post
    it always takes longer than they say it will, promise big bucks straight out the door, thats how they make their money, a tech that is honest and willing to help a customer regardless of their own pocket book is priceless in this industry , ive been behind several tech school wanna be's this week who wanted to sell new systems, because they got commissions on sales, to find simple problems, fixed with minimal effort, customer happy,so when there is a real need, guess who will get the sale?????
    Yes, that's part of our industry. There everywhere. And most likely the first to go out of business when times get tuff. But, damn can't you pay more than a Mcdonald's?

Quote Originally Posted by hvacman14 View Post
    everyone ive ever hired straight out of school with the attitude of " im worth XX dollars and hour cause i went to school and got good grades" has bit me in thie a** a diplomia dont mean jack s**t, youve got to be willing to learn how my business works, and what your place in it is, trades schools give potential techs a false hope of mega bucks, if you make good grades her you will be a millonare over night in this bizz, you gotta have a desire and a drive to help people, then and only then will you get what your are worth, if money is your driving force, get the h**l out of this biz now!!!!!!
    the one school i went to was promissing tech's out of school the potential to make $30 an hour. every body was excited about making $30 an hour. the problem was one employer was doing it an it gave the school the ability to advertise it. but it was also a seasonal job i belive.

were not seasonal here, if i bring someone on i keep them even through the lean times, garrantee 40hr a week, when were slow they may be driving my mom around and doing her honey- do list, but they are working, i will hire parttime help in the busy times, but its usually school kids in the building trades program at the local high school, and a summer job is all they want, my pay scale comes up as guys learn and become productive, but you start at the bottom and work your way up to the kind of money you need and deserve, been bitten too many times starting off with a good salary only to find out the guy couldnt troubleshoot his way out of a wet paper bag, and wasnt taught the install side at school only the service side.
    The 2008 NATE TOP TECH!!!!!

I agree hvacman...

starting someone at $8.00 is not a bad thing...they are still getting a chance to get into the feild....working at Mcdonalds can be learned IMO...less than a couple of days and your already doing the job youwere hired for...HVAC/R will take years to learn...FWIW- ERIC555 stick it out prove yourself and you will be making more than $8.00 it's all up to you...good luck and let us know how your doing.

I work at Home Depot and make $9.50 and hour. Everyone that works there starts at that rate. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for schooling and make LESS then what I get paid to do at a retail store. This is what angers me. "Oh we can't find anyone good they work for about a month and quit". Yeah getting an employee with the drive to work is hard to find, but its just as hard to find and employer who actually appreciates their employees and pays them like they should.

You get paid for what you know, how much experience you've got and how you carry yourself. Some employers really suck, some don't and you won't know till you hire on. You gotta start somewhere so what would you have a company do in your case?

I think 8 $hr is a tad to low but if they will promise you a evaluation in 30 days that's not to bad. I can tell if someone is worth a **** within a week.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

my starting pay was less than $4 an hour but back then a gallon of gas was less than a buck and beer was less than $4 a 12 pack, nowadays $12 hour is the norm for fresh out of school guys, $16/H after couple of years and $20 and over for 5 years techs, good guys make more in less time, $8 an hour is totally ridiculous and for that rate either an illegal alien or a crack head would take the work. there is a difference between starting somewhere and getting ripped off by a greedy business owner.
    the trade takes a toll in your body, you get cuts,scratches,zapped and sometimes a nice fall, pay your guy accordingly dont be cheap.

Down here in south Florida most residential techs start between 10-12 and commercial techs start around 12-14. All depends on you though. You've got to prove your self. Most newbies coming out of school down here don't have much work ethic.

hey guys i have had some computer problems the last few days, but i just wanted to say thanks for evry reply i really enjoyed each reply. A little follow up on me is that i went yesterday to work wich was my first day! and I LOVE MY JOB! 8/hr hasnt even crossed my mind one bit i am learning so much so quickly(but trust me i know it takes years to learn everything) i bet i have been under 16 houses in two days lol. and i can honestly say i look foward to going to work every morning, i have had my hands on everything from cleaning coils to new start ups in just two days, but im ready to completely understand these zone boards more!

Congrats... It's a great trade. Hope you enjoy it. Continue being the way you are.... Like a sponge... Take it all in you will learn tons of information

I was making 12/hour one year ago, just out of school. Now working in this field almost a year i get 15/hour, which is not too bad so far. Btw Im located in Canada, Toronto.

non-union pay

$8-12 hour is for non-union jobs. In the northeast part of the country. The first year apprentice is making $ 16 hour with pension and benefits. Pay rate increases every year. Upon completion of the 5 year training. Working through this time. Your pay increased to $36 B-rate hour. A- rate tech get $46hr. Why would you work a non-union job is beyond me. Good luck.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast