Thread: Air Handler- Filter?

Post Likes
    Let me begin by saying I don't know the first thing about HVAC. Hopefully someone here can help me. I've got and air handler mounted vertically in the garage. It has a severe water/moisture/leak problem. The return air duct in the living room has a clean filter, and is on the backside of the wall where the unit is mounted. Air returns from beneath and goes up through the coils. Is there suppposed to be a filter before the coils (inside the unit)? I'm asking because there isn't one; and the outside of the unit has a sticker on a removable thin strip of metal that says "filter". I crawled into the return air hole and inspected the floor for dampness and there was none. There was condensation on the coils as I looked up- and the edges of the yellow foamboard insulation were damp. There have been times where the garage floor looked as though someone spilled a bucket of water. The surrounding drywall is damp and moldy, and puddles seem to seep from the bottom of this area. Any ideas? Please??

Post Likes
    there should be a drain connection and drain line on the airhandler, check to see that the drain pipe is not plugged up with crap. also check that the pan under the coil is not full of stuff. As far as a filter if you only have one return grill and it has a filter in it, I think that should be sufficient for filtering.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Post Likes
    next option is low charge, causing icing, or low airflow.

when was the last time it was looked at?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Black Adder
    also check that the pan under the coil is not full of stuff. .

What if there is no pan under the coil?

I can crawl into the return air area and look up into the unit- and I see coils. Would this pan obstruct my view? The outside of the unit (in the garage) has a removable piece before the coils and behind this piece are what appear to be tracks- like angle irons- running along the sided. They look like they should hold something, but nothing is there.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by billva
    next option is low charge, causing icing, or low airflow.

when was the last time it was looked at?

I don't know- my neighbor is an older woman who asked me to look at a leak in the garage. Water was pooled on the concrete floor on one side of the unit and ran a few feet down the wall. Mold popping through the drywall. I think she said something was done 4 years ago.

Post Likes
    time to call in the service tech, don't think you are going to get much further on your own. Sorry mate
    "Go big or Go Home"

Post Likes
    I'm going to check the drain connection for a clog...then I'll tell her to call a tech, and I'll need to find out who a good one is, as she's bitter toward the last AC guy she had. I found out today she was talked into buying a new AC system four years ago...and her house is only eight years old!!! She said her old one worked fine and the new one just has been worse, not better like the AC guy said it would. I don't know why she hasn't called the guy who did it back...I'm thinking the guy simply conned an old lady and has since skipped town. Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll tell her to call a tech.

Post Likes
    when was the last time YOU had YOUR system serviced?

perhaps if you could get a recommendation of a quality contractor from friends/neighbors/family/co workers you could have them do both homes at the same time (possibly for a reduced cost since travel time will be nil between the two homes).

regular maintainence of a system can extend the life and improve efficiency (lower bills).

good luck

Post Likes
    thanks to everyone for the replies and help. I couldn't figure it out, called an AC Tech, it took him all of ten minutes to find and fix the problem. Turns out the drain line was clogged- but- it was clogged at the end of the drain, outside of the house by the fan unit (I wanted to smack myself for not thinking to look out there). It was causing the water to backup and pool in the garage beneath the air handler.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in