Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: heat tape

My a/c quit working and I had a tech come out. He found the metering valve bad in the airhandler and wanted over 500 to replace it. Well I wasnt paying that much so I removed the last 20 feet of insulation on the bigger line to the unit outside and put heat tape on it. Buy doing this Im heating the refrigerant up and turning it into a vapor so theres no liquid to the compressor. Everything has been fine since I did this and I thought you guys might start doing this if you run into a metering problem.

Originally posted by prodiyer
    My a/c quit working and I had a tech come out. He found the metering valve bad in the airhandler and wanted over 500 to replace it. Well I wasnt paying that much so I removed the last 20 feet of insulation on the bigger line to the unit outside and put heat tape on it. Buy doing this Im heating the refrigerant up and turning it into a vapor so theres no liquid to the compressor. Everything has been fine since I did this and I thought you guys might start doing this if you run into a metering problem.
    You are joking right ?

First of all metering devices fail to the closed or restricted position. In that case, you would not be getting enough refrigerant back to compressor to keep it from overheating.

I would suggest that you remove the tape and re-insulate the line and then call out another company for another opinion. Just my opinion.

the goal of the insulation is to keep it from sweating, and absorbing unwanted heat. the refrigerant should only be absorbing heat from your return airflow. why add extra heat to the refrigerant so it has to work not only to cool the house but releive the heat of the tape smooth move

I dont know. But its working now. I fixed it.

No,you didn't fix it. You rigged it. Break out your wallet and repair your system now. Now would be a good time. If you wait until it breaks you maybe a month or more without a/c. Replace it when it is working.

It will break again and it won't be cheap.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Thank you for your helpfulness.

I am interested to know what other work have you had done by that company (or any other)to your AC? Do you have a heatpump?

95deg out side, 72 inside. I told you I fixed it.

95deg out side, 72 inside. I told you I fixed it.
    Great.I was trying to figure out what you fixed by asking the previous question.I could guess,but I would prefer to hear it from you.

what kind of metering device and what is temperature of the vaporline

I dont know. But its working now. I fixed it.

hummmmmm.....dont even want to go there.

Too funny. Unless the Earth's poles have switched directions there's literally no way for that story to be true.

Me thinks he's a regular HVAC-Talker who's out to yank some chains. "prodiyer" as in professional do-it-yourselfer? Puh-lease. It's an obvious setup.

Thumbs down Yeah you fixed it alright.

Lets just not share with our younger techs this type of rigging. One may actually try it and start down that road of ways to cut corners without actually understanding the refrigerant system. There is enough of that going on already.

Ok theres 2 minutes of my life wasted and I'll never get back.

The tech that came to my house said the metering device was flooding liquid to my compressor,all he did was insulate a sencor in the attic but said it needed to be replaced. I told you what I did, I FIXED IT!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast