Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Was told today that if you put a water hose on a air cooled condensor it will increase unit by 20%.

LET'S HEAR IT GUYS WHAT DO YOU THINK ???

This is true, but it will also reduce the life expectancy of the condenser coil by 95%!

Smile I think

That is the definition of "Desperation" with a cross reference to "Hack".

I've actually seen this in action, on the roof of a mall no less. Bldg had 1100 or 1200 (it's been awhile) tons worth of DX Mammouth units with garden hoses running to PVC manifolds that had sprinkler nozzles in them screwed to the units over the condensing coils.

Did it work, NO! Why? Because the real problem was about $100,000 worth of bad compressors, motors and controls, not to mention the dirty filters.

Tell'em if they don't wanna spend the money to fix it, stop wasteing your time.

Busta.
    It Is What It Is

a certain hospital around here does this all the time. they spend tons redoing spaces, then realize the hvac was forgotten or "overlooked" as they say. the in house guys will fabricate a header of copper, then drill tons of little holes to spray right on the condenser. if only they would use the brain correctly. i have seen units that were undersize utilized this way for months until they could find the money to upgrade.

I worked on a Carrier unit (Air Cooled) that had a WRV connected to it. Someone took a couple pieces of 1/2" copper and drilled a bunch of holes in it, any time the head pressure went above 300psi, the WRV throttled and sprinkled water on the coil.

I've always wondered why no one uses condensate from the AHU as precooled make-up water for the evap condensor.

In the Southeast, you could probably get half your make-up water for free, and it would be 20 degrees cooler than city water.

I have a couple of cheap walmart window shakers that are designed with the condensate drain hole raised so the condensation collects for a bit. The fan kicks up a bit of a spray to help cool the condensor coil.
    "Punctuation and capitalization is the difference between: Helping your Uncle, Jack, off a horse. And: helping your uncle jack off a horse"
    ---
    If Mexicans will do the jobs Americans won't do, will they secure our borders?

Confused

Our Carrier 30GB060 air cooled chiller experiences high head pressures when the outdoor air temp is above 95. Might have something to do with those condenser coils sitting in the sun light. Anyway, set up a pvc pipe with holes drilled in the bottom and a 24 volt sprinkler valve. The valve is tied into our EMS, and opens at 95 degrees oat. Works great.
    Also reduces amp draw from 200 down to about 170. Reduces operating cost and eliminates weekend trouble calls.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. HST

Originally posted by jay302
    I have a couple of cheap walmart window shakers that are designed with the condensate drain hole raised so the condensation collects for a bit. The fan kicks up a bit of a spray to help cool the condensor coil.
    A lot of window units and even some ptacs are set up this way but it's not to increase capacity it is to get rid of the condensate through evaporation.

dhanna are you saying that this does not increase capacity ?
    is this really happening or not

After a couple of years, take the cover off that shaker and look at the inside of the condenser. It will be plugged shut with dirt/mud caked on the coil where the slinger got it wet. It will be murder to get off. I usually drilled a hole in the pan and let it drip.

There was a post a few months back with a link to a company making a jacket that went over a condenser coil and put water on it. It had a small line to wrap around the large line at the outdoor unit and it was supposed to pre-cool the water in cool and pre-heat it in heat mode. I don't remember the companies name. If the water's not filtered you'll likely build crud on the coils.
    Many years ago I worked at a small grocery store and the owner piped PVC to all the condensers and drilled holes in front of the coils. He had a well pump hooked up to an outdoor thermostat that would spray water on the coils above 90 outdoor ambient. It did work and with the steel coils we didn't have a problem with corrosion.

rubobornot Guest
    The only positive thing about running water on the condenser coil is when you have to take the unit out because the minerals have built up inside the fins of the condenser coil you get three times as much at the scrap metal yard as you would with a coil that never had water ran on it to help the cooling.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast