Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ME: Residential, 2000 sq ft. New England, 18 year old York system - air handler and ducts in the attic. I'm getting contractors to come and bid to replace it.

No one can give me a good explanation of what a variable speed fan does for me, except to suggest that with a high-end control system (with a humidistat), it allows for more gradual cooling in cooler (~70-80Deg) humid weather to better facilitate dehumidification. Some people say it facilitates better cooling in hot weather by cranking up the fan, but these new systems have fans that peak (for 4 ton) at only 1600 cfm and my current system pushes 1800cfm all-the-time.

Can someone explain why a variable-speed fan is really there - is it simply for the dehumidification I explained above, or is there some energy-saving effect that escapes me.

Thanks
    /j

PS - I assume I should take with a grain of salt the Trane dealer who said that the quality of carrier systems had gone way down (offshore parts, etc).

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    In addition to dehumidification abilites,which are best with a Carrier Infinity ,with two speed compressor,there is more.

1.The variable speed fan will ensure the correct cfms,even as resistance increases,with a dirty filter.There are limits of course,but the correct air flow is key to effeciency.

2. Though your old system,may have a higher cfm rating ,at a certain resistance,the VS may be able to deliver 1600 at a higher resistance.This is often the case.

3.VS fan uses less wattage ,so you save some their as well.

IMHO,Carrier products are better today,than in the past.

And they are quieter too. Can't hear a thunk when they start up. Wish I had one.

Actually, the guy I like the best is recommending carrier evolution.

But are you saying that the fan on the new system may actually be capable of much higher RPM than a non-variable one, so that it can maintain an appropriate CFM in different conditions?

That makes a -lot- of sense
    /j

They adjust rpm and torgue to maintain the cfms(air flow ) at what is required.

With a standard motor ,you pick a speed,and that's it,often the correct speed isn't the one they choose.Even if it is correct,it's cfms are reduced as the filter,coil an blower get dirty.

Carrier = Infinity

Bryant =Evolution

The operate the same way ,Carriers outdoor units are quieter.

Maybe it was Bryant - he said they were the same company?? (or is carrier the same as someone else? I might have misheard)

I get it now. So there's a cfm sensor as part of the system.

/j

It's all built into(programed) the VS motor and controls,many brands have similar setups,Carrier/Bryant is just more advanced,at this time.

Go variable speed regardless of the brand.IMHO

good advice -thx

Thumbs up

I like the slower speed on start up, it is less likely to wake one up in the middle of the night, and it allows the evaporator coil to get closer to a temperature which will cause the air coming out the vents to feel better. It is the "ramping up" of the fan speed, Either in cooling mode, or, as I have a heat pump, in heating mode.
    In cooling mode, controls can delay going to max air flow so that more humidity (latent heat, I think it's called) can be removed from the air. I believe that air which contains less grains of moisture, can be cooled quicker. That means energy savings.
    There can be additional savings at the end of the run cycle, where the compressor outside is shut off, and the indoor fan is "ramped down" in speed. This supplies you with a little more (heating/cooling) from the temperature of the coil. The ramp down cannot be too long, or (in cooling mode) moisture will be added back in to the air, or (in heating mode) cooler air will be felt by inhabitant.
    This is from a homeowners viewpoint. I've never regretted going to a variable speed air handler, albeit single speed heat pump. No regrets !

OOPS - forgot to mention (don't know if this makes a difference)

I keep the fan running 24/7 so as to maximize use of the allergen filter (spacegard).

What will a Variable-speed fan do when the system isn't calling?

/j

Some can be set to run at a lower cfm when the unit is off,increasing the effectiveness of the filter.

Plus the lower oprating cost of VS ,really saves when you run the fan 24/7,that makes VS a must,IMHO.

I am not sure about the other guys.. But I am sure they do the same as Trane..

Blower on 24/7 will run at a slower speed.. call of heat or cooling blower will ramp up and down..

I'm sold on VS, and all you say, except I don't understand...

how does lower cfm make filter MORE effective?

/j

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast