Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need to replace A/C in Florida - 12 seer or 13 seer?

Post Likes
    Okey doke.

You know, there is a good part of the FBC / FMC / FPC that I don't agree with, but this is one paragraph that makes sense to me. Oh well...

Post Likes
    Dash,
    I'm up in Jacksonville and have been pricing out units for the past three months trying to determine whether I need to change out my Payne 10 seer units as we have added 600 sq feet (300 each floor) to our house. I calculated from the past 12 month bills and could not justify spending more money on a 13 seer vs. a 12 seer. If I am wrong, please let me know because I'm all going with the most efficient unit possible.

Thanks! And Happy 4th.

Steve

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    First I can only speak for our prices,but in Florida,I can't see why it would cost $2000.oo to go from 12 to 13SEER.

Regardless of theoretical savings ,based on SEER,which is not real world conditions,I think in Florida,it's worth the money to get a variable speed air handler.That's the main cost of getting to 13 SEER in many brands and sizes.

Variable speed with the proper controls ,like Thermidistat or Infinity,will allow a much lower humidity level during cooling.Most customer raise the temp. 2 or 3 degrees,as "it's not the heat it's the humidity"

A good variable speed with the right controls ,provides more comfort,what's comfort worth ,to you?

Many utilities have rebates that help offset the cost.

"going all with most effecient unit possible"Not sure what you mean,as much higher SEERs are available.

Post Likes
    Dash,
    One of the salesreps left his file folder here and never called or came over to pick it up. There is a $2200 difference between a 13 seer system they are selling and the 12 seer system (3 ton). There is a difference of the VS handler between them.
    If I get a 10% savings per month (our biggest bill has been $220), I'm going to save somewhere between 12 and 22 per month so I'll average a yearly savings of $200. It will still take me 11 years to recoup the costs.

Heck, I'd be glad to hire you, pay for your travel and lodging expenses if I can get a better deal from you. Seriously.

Steve

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    What model numbers and brands?

With Carrier ,making the 12 SEER outdoor unit ,into a 13 SEER you add a VS airhandler to the same oudoor unit.Or you can go with a more deluxe outdoor unit as well,which would make the cost a lot greater.

Most of our builders have gone to 13 SEER,that won't have happened at a price like that.

How many estimates did you get?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in