new furnace with new outdoor AC unit?

We have a 9 year old Lennox 2 zone system. Our smaller unit is not blowing cold air. Someone came out in the fall and replaced the capacitor, expansion valve and recharged the system and $XXXX later we have no cold air downstairs. We are being told that a coil is leaking freon. Options are to replace the coil and condensor or simply replace the whole system. The tech that came out suggested that when considering the cost of replacing the condensor and coil, we may as well replace the whole unit. And then he wants to replace the furnace as well. We have had no problems with the furnace. According to the tech, if you replace the AC with a modern system, you should replace the furnace as well.
    Are we being given accurate info? This would be quite costly no matter which option we choose.
    Last edited by Stamas; 04-03-2011 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Removed pricing

Quote Originally Posted by KluLes View Post
    We have a 9 year old Lennox 2 zone system. Our smaller unit is not blowing cold air. Someone came out in the fall and replaced the capacitor, expansion valve and recharged the system and $XXXX later we have no cold air downstairs. We are being told that a coil is leaking freon. Options are to replace the coil and condensor or simply replace the whole system. The tech that came out suggested that when considering the cost of replacing the condensor and coil, we may as well replace the whole unit. And then he wants to replace the furnace as well. We have had no problems with the furnace. According to the tech, if you replace the AC with a modern system, you should replace the furnace as well.
    Are we being given accurate info? This would be quite costly no matter which option we choose.
    I'm not sure I understand. Was the A/C not working at all when they installed the new capacitor, TXV and charged the system?

Prices aren't allowed, but the cats out of the bag, that sounds terribly high.

I'm not a service tech, but I don't get the relationship as to the need for the capacitor and TXV.

It now sounds like all you needed was a new evaporator coil (they come with a TXV). I assume that is were the leak is.

The need for higher efficiency for the smaller (lower level) system isn't that important. For a 5 year old system, I would recommend just the coil and maybe a second opinion.

I smell a rat. I don't like the techs selling equipment.
    Last edited by Stamas; 04-03-2011 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Removed pricing

Thanks George2 for your prompt reply. We are going to have to educate ourselves about what all of this means. Is it common to have to replace entire units at 10 years in a climate like Houston?

Thanks George2 for your prompt reply. We are going to have to educate ourselves about what all of this means. Is it common to have to replace entire units at 10 years in a climate like Houston?
    What is going on with these evaporator coils? Where I lived since the early 1970's I had an old 2-Ton Wards Signature that I believe was installed around 1966, before I lived there.

The condenser, compressor & evaporator are still A-Okay & have never leaked.
    I had to replace the condenser fan motor & indoor blower motor.

It ran for 46-years & would still be running but indoor blower motor seized-up; the woman living there can't afford to have the indoor blower motor replaced. She is using window units.

She lives around 850 miles south of me; if I get down there I'll put a new blower motor in for her.

No blower motor so she can't use the original gas furnace; uses portable heaters. She won't let me pay someone to fix it. I'd like to put a whole new system in for her; she can't begin to afford it; I'd figure out a way for her.

That system cooled perfectly, & I had the airflow set over 450-CFM per-ton putting a heavy load on the compressor & that small condenser coil.

It was a real cheap looking condenser with a Copeland compressor & it sat in the hot blazing sun all day long.

Yes, it seems unbelievable to me, too.
    If I get back down there I'll take pictures of that condenser, with a new blower installed & cooling that home.

So, why all the short lived A/C systems?

No. I'm in Iowa, and the A/C isn't used like I'm sure it is in Houston, but I put in a A/C across the street in 1978 (33 years ago) and it's still running strong.

^Thin copper and VOCs from building materials? Bad installs?
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

In my mind there's really no excuse to have a leak right after it was worked on. If I replace your TXV, I pressure test the system BEFORE dumping new refrigerant in. The leak should have showed up when your guy was on site. We stand behind our work for 1 year, as it should be for an expensive repair. If it was leaky why did they bother putting $XXXX dollars into it? If you need a new coil it should have diagnosed that way from the get-go.

Sounds like a salesman to me, sorry for your luck.

Then again if you're on the coast and the OD unit is leaking, that's probably normal if you're in a salty atmosphere.

And as added food for thought, no it is not necessary to replace the furnace when replacing the coil.