Having decided all the other factors for a new home install I need to ask forum participants for their view on one aspect of filtering options.

I'm going with a 5 ton Trane XL19i and either an XV80 or XV90 furnace with three zones in a 3139 sq ft single story. I believe it will have 2 returns (2 or 3).

The configured system has a single Aprilaire 2200. I've read in another posts that a system this large might reduce the effectiveness of a single air filter, and another post mentioned the possibility of using 2 filters. Is this possible or effective? What other options would be recommended to achieve good IAQ? I've pretty much ruled out EACs and UV.

Thanks

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    They need to look at the data for the filter,effectiveness with 5 tons of air,and pressure drop.To improve either,use two filters.

FYI,our warehouseman,had an EAC and UVC light installed,he reports a marked imprivement of his asthmatic teenage son.

Many customers with allergies ,report relief/improvement with UVC light.

Thanks, dash. I think I was influenced by the negative comments on EAC and UV. Our family deals with mild allergies, no asthma.

Would 2 filters be installed in line with each other? I guess I'm having trouble visualizing 2 Aprilaire media filters being in line with each other.

Thanks for the insight.

[Edited by nathan9999 on 06-30-2005 at 11:24 AM]

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Installing two can be a problem.
    With a large furnace it's often recommeded that retun ducts come from both sides or the bottom.If the do this a filter can be installed on each side.If return is from the bottom,it can go to the left and right,front and back,etc,with a filter in each run.

Each one should handle as close to 50% of the air flow as is possible.

Costs more but filters will last twice as long,so changing them costs the same.