I am getting estimates to replace two entire HVAC units in my house.

I am looking at the trane furnace brochure and wanted to know what the difference between XR80 and XB80 were. I noticed that one has a nitride surface igniter and the other has a carbide surface igniter. What does this mean?

Yeh, the one with the carbide is JUNK!

XB is a cheaper built furnace. I'm not as quick to dismiss the older ignition system though. We've changed so darn many of the Intell-ignition boards that I have a hard time wanting to recommend that system as reliable. I've seen little improvement in ignitor life with the 80v nitride ignitors. We've found less problems with a brand that uses line voltage nitrides though.

I was mainly talking about the 24v Nitride that ICP has used for over 10 years... VERY RELIABLE!

Very true. Rare to have to change one of them. The pesky 80v models used by the Intell-ignition system on A-S/Trane, Lennox & Amana however are a pain!

thanks for the input. not sure what models have teh 24v nitride.

back to the trane system, will i see a difference between the units in the next 5 to 6 years?

24volt systems...

AirQuest, Arcoaire, Comfortmaker, Heil, Tempstar, KeepRite, (some of Armstrong & Air Ease)

Basically anything with the 'Honeywell Smart Valve' system.

The nitride ignitor is far superior to the carbon ignitor!