Twisting refr. line connections before brazing

Working with some fitters. When installing refr. lines, especially on small diameter ones, after installing a fitting, say an elbow on the end of a line, they like to take their channelocks and pinch the fitting a little and twist the fitting on the line to keep it from falling apart before brazing.

I cringe whenever I see it, feel it distorts the clearance between the pipe and fitting and could affect the quality of the brazed joint, especially if you overdo it.

I think they do this when soldering also, which could really make it hard to get the joint filled properly.

Anybody else have a problem with this practice?

I tend to fit the pipe so it is supported properly, or there is some natural tension on the fitting in the direction of the pipe so it won't fall off easily.

I dont think it makes a bit of differance,over the years i've been amazed at some of the silflossed joints that were poorly set in the fitting and survived,quite a bit of them being done from the factory.

Might cause turbulence in the line causing it to rattle and eventually spring a leak possibly but unlikely. Depends on where they crimp it at. This is one reason why you swage the copper instead of using fittings. The more brazed joints the more chances of a leak. I never ever modify the fittings

if you have enough clearance for a tube cutter using a constricting wheel
    in your cutter will leave enough for a good connection &
    snug up the connection & prevent movement while brazing

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    if you have enough clearance for a tube cutter using a constricting wheel
    in your cutter will leave enough for a good connection &
    snug up the connection & prevent movement while brazing
    I have a cheap cutter and will put it on the male end of the connection and just tighten it enough to put a dimple in the line outside of the line, making it snug up in a fitting.

I doubt there's any more restriction there then using an elbow or not properly reaming a cut.
    I came upon this pile of junk, the torch has been passed. I take ownership of things shaped before me, it is now my responsibility.
    But what are you suppose to do when you see yourself in that pile of junk?

Quote Originally Posted by lenb View Post
    Working with some fitters. When installing refr. lines, especially on small diameter ones, after installing a fitting, say an elbow on the end of a line, they like to take their channelocks and pinch the fitting a little and twist the fitting on the line to keep it from falling apart before brazing.
    Have done it a thousand times to keep pipe from twisting and firm up the piping, with no ill effects(that I know of).

Works fine with silphos if you're good with copper, monkey see monkey do.

I always use channel locks on the edge of the fitting. Never had an issue. Speeds up the piping process. I install main hangers and then use the channel locks to get more piping in before I drop back and install needed hangers on branch lines. Mostly use this on hydronics (soldering) but I have used it a lot with refrigeration (brazing) in grocery store installs. Works great!
    It's refreshing to pull your head out of the box when servicing a system.