Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OK. My A/C is not working well the air coming from the ducts is not as cool as it was. 6-weeks ago I had 4lbs of refrigerant put in. I also noticed that the smaller line that goes from the condenser to the furnace/blower is iced. I had a tech come out and he said that the compressor is bad. Does this sound right? Is there anything else that would be symptomatic of a bad compressor? The guy said that it would cost 1200.00 to replace the compressor and 2400.00 to replace the condenser. Does this sound right, bad compressor and costs to replace?

oh yeah, I can turn it on and it works for a little while then the air get warmer.

call a different service.
    Sometimes there are compounding complexities of multiple variables that are not intuitively obvious

The guy just called back and said they could also do a patch??? for 500.00. Every one I call charges 60.00 bucks. The thing is this, I have had two techs out and they have said two different things. I also asked him when he called about the refrigerant he said it was fine, holding pressure.

Jacob Does this sound suspicious; I really don't know anything about A/C but my neighbor was taken to the cleaners recently to the tune of 3200.00. I'm just trying to make some sense of this.

It sounds deplorable!

Originally posted by antonyeo
    OK. I also noticed that the smaller line that goes from the condenser to the furnace/blower is iced.
    oh yeah, I can turn it on and it works for a little while then the air get warmer.
    What did they say about that?

It is a bad time a year to get any help,but say where you at and maybe someone will point you to a decent company.

you may have a leak or a restricktion or even a waek compressor without beening there no sure way to know for sure. you need to find a real tech not a sales man
    this guy wants to make money and not fix the problem it would seem by what you said here. if there is a leak and you replce either compressor or condenser and the leak is still there where are you now. call arround get someone to find your problem and or leak then make an intelagent disiyion on what to do. sorry for the spelling

if you would fill out your profile so we can tell where you are at, we may be able to reccommend a reputable company.
    i wanted to put a picture here

I live in Fresno, CA. 100+ degree weather is typical. You guys all sound right I felt it was not right, plus the guy was on the phone with his boss the whole time. I thought that was strange. I'm going to wait until I find someone that can help. If you know anyone in Fresno please forward me a name and phone #. thanks

Does the ice on the small line start right after a cylinder attached to the line(a filter)? It's companys like this that make people distrust the honest company. It's well worth another $60 or even $100 for a second opinion......calll your local HVAC supply house and ask if they'll recommend a local contractor for you with a good reputation, just a thought.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Jacob, I missed your earlier reply, but to answer your question he said that the iced line is where the problem is and the compressor malfunction caused that. The icing is at a coupling. The problem is this I had the same problem 6-weeks ago and a different tech said it was a different problem (no refrigerant, and gave it 4lbs, I gave him 105.00).

Here is my unit you can see the icing on line in pix4

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...onyeo/pix4.jpg

that smaller line goes all the way back to the compressor in the backyard along with the larger line.
    when I went up to take the photo I noticed a lot of cool air at the bottom of the unit.

[Edited by antonyeo on 06-29-2005 at 07:57 PM]

Originally posted by antonyeo
    Jacob, I missed your earlier reply, but to answer your question he said that the iced line is where the problem is and the compressor malfunction caused that. The icing is at a coupling. The problem is this I had the same problem 6-weeks ago and a different tech said it was a different problem (no refrigerant, and gave it 4lbs, I gave him 105.00).

Here is my unit you can see the icing on line in pix4

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...onyeo/pix4.jpg
    You have the classic symptoms of a refrigerant leak Not a bad compressor!

You have the classic symptoms of a refrigerant leak Not a bad compressor!
    would the leak be at the spot where it is freezing? The guy had a detector that he wavied around both the compressor and the blower unit and he said that it showed no leak; and when he hooked up pressure guages he said the pressure was steady so there was no leak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast