I need to seal my ductwork, lot of air loss in the basement. Can feel it coming out in a lot of places and it seems most recommend mastic as the sealer of choice. Just wondering if anyone knows where I could see what a good mastic job looks like and maybe some tips on doing it correctly? Pictures are worth a lot of drawings and text to me.

Out of curiosity I inquired about how much it would cost to have our ducts sealed with that Aeroseal system. Now we do have zoned heating/cooling with 2 units but the quote was XXXXXXXXXForum Rules No pricing

Think we will pass on that and I will just seal up what I can myself.

Thanks

[Edited by lusker on 06-30-2005 at 07:06 PM]

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Aeroseal is the best way to go,likely leaks in places you can't get to.

Check out the "wall of pride" section on this site for some pics.

Some utilities and state agency's offer rebates or tax credits for that type of work. Use a paint brush with the duct poop and try not to get any on you. If you have to glob it on to seal it the duct needs repaired. Aeroseal is an awesome system yet expensive. Duct repairs done correctly can cost that much also. Good luck
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by willfeeny
    That may be true, but I cannot justify XXXXXX to seal ductwork. That sounds a bit insane to me. It is doubtful we will be in this house long enough to even come near recouping the savings. I would be better off using the money and replacing one of the furnaces with a more efficient one probably.

So doing mastic or tape are really the only options at this point. Would just like to see a good mastic job and directions before I do it myself.

So did you look in the Wall of Pride??

Call it insane if you want,but there's a whole lot of problems that can be casued by leaking ducts.It not just about reducing your operating costs.

Depending on where the leaks are ,what you plan may be good enough.

[Edited by lusker on 06-30-2005 at 07:07 PM]

To seal your ducts you will need..spray adhesive,foil tape and mastic. Start with a surface that is as clean as possible and dry, if it is moist you are not going to get good adhesion. Apply spray glue, wait a few minutes. Apply tape, being sure to remove any air pockets. A bondo spreader works well for removing the air pockets. Then apply your mastic, some use a brush, I prefer to use a margin trowel. Whatever you decide to use I recommend wearing gloves as that stuff is a pain to get off. Also, don,t neglect your fire boxes, they can be a major point of infiltration. I have always sealed them to the drywall inside the register margin with tape and mastic. A tight ,leak free duct system will be more efficient and leave you with a better IAQ. Just my opinion though!
    DO IT ONCE, DO IT RIGHT!

I need to seal my ductwork, lot of air loss in the basement. Can feel it coming out in a lot of places
    I just gotta ask.

Do you have a grill installed in the duct right above the furnace, or anywhere else in the basement?

we could be out of here in as early as 2 or 3 years.

Translation: Wifey and me aren't getting along too well and if she finds out I have a girlfriend divorce will be soon and I have no idea who will get the house.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

I just gotta ask.

Do you have a grill installed in the duct right above the furnace, or anywhere else in the basement? [/B]
    The basement had a few vents along the main run since it was a finished basement when we moved in. We treat it as unfinished space and have since removed them they are currently sealed with sheet metal over the space screwed in and the seems around taped.

Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    we could be out of here in as early as 2 or 3 years.

Translation: Wifey and me aren't getting along too well and if she finds out I have a girlfriend divorce will be soon and I have no idea who will get the house.

Actually we moved because we got a great deal on our house, but to get the deal we had to be out very quickly. So we didn't have time to shop for the perfect home. Thinking of having the builder of our last house build us new one...

I used a putty knife -- applied like peanut butter -- just kinda smoothed it -- applied 4 buckets -- so what if it does not look pretty? -- just do it -- cover all joints & holes -- I sealed around my registers with silicone caulk on some & spackling on some in ceiling -- just close all holes -- keeps out dirt, bugs, ---

I just rubbed my hands together to get off mastic -- or get some cheap plastic gloves -- Goop helps --

just don't wear your Formal suit

I think kbtech's method might be a lil overkill.

No need for the spray adhesive. About the only time you really use that is for insulating duct, or buddering the ends before you put them together.

And if you put tape on the joint, and cover it with mastic, there's still nothing saying the tape won't fall off. Mastic or tape, not both.

A clean surface is definately correct though. No need to scrub and scrub the duct, but at least take a dry cloth and give it a good wipe before you seal it (especially with tape).

To me a good pooky job is a lost art. No need to take a lot of time to make it look perfect, but I always try to make sure the brush strokes are straight with the seam. Spread it on thick enough so it really makes a nice transition from duct to the seam and back. If you apply it too thin when it dries it might shrink a bit and then you'll have holes.

Good luck!

amickracing I think kbtech's method might be a lil overkill.

if you use the spray and tape method, you can be sure it will not come off. I did my own duct work using this technique 10 years ago and have no problems. Also sealed a small hole in my truck topper like this 4 years ago and it is still hanging in there. Tape has never lifted and it is subjected to the weathwer extremes of west central florida, not to mention about 5 or 6 hundred miles of road time a week
    DO IT ONCE, DO IT RIGHT!