I'm looking for some friendly professional opinion about a problem I'm having with my Friedrich SM19J30R 19000BTU air conditioner. It's the type that mounts in the wall and has an electronic control panel (timer, Money Saver, all that jazz) and remote control. It suddenly decided that it would not like to cool anymore. What happens is, the control panel will come on, a light breeze will blow out from the vents and the usual right-before-the-cooling-should-start hum noises occurs, but that's it. Upon adjusting the fan settings, I can hear a clicking noise, but the unit does not kick on fully and begin cooling. A tech said the problem is the control panel and that he's replaced a LOT on Friedrichs and that it is a design flaw...the control panel is not cheap to replace. He is ordering the part and will do the repair. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? I'm wondering if there's a more simple fix than what he says is the problem. We've had three A/Cs in this house (1 AirTemp, 2 GEs) that lasted almost 25 years without incident. This Friedrich is 4 years old and already took a dive! The company conveniently exempts the control panel from the warranty.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by mjd1123
    We've had three A/Cs in this house (1 AirTemp, 2 GEs) that lasted almost 25 years without incident. This Friedrich is 4 years old and already took a dive!
    Thanks in advance!
    I have know way of knowing much of anything about your problem from here...however, I will say that a misdiagnosis is not impossible.Or maybe the tech has made the right call.Who knows?
    It is a fact that that your previous units lasted longer because they didnt have a "electronic control panel",but simple mechanical perts.
    From your discription of the problem it could be other causes...Has the unit been cleaned?Are you having real hot weather now?

Sometimes there are compounding complexities of multiple variables that are not intuitively obvious

Yes, very hot humid weather now. It was working fine until yesterday, just died without warning. I know you wouldn't know without looking at it, just wanted to see if anyone knows if this was a common problem with these types of Freidrichs as the repair guy told me.

I'm with you about the lousy electronics though. I forgot to mention another A/C in the house (a Westinghouse) that is still running reliably after 20 years.

Thanks!

the frederick control panel isnt defective there was a design flaw. when you get the new panel you will also get a plastic cover that you install over the new panel after it is installed in the unit. seems that water drips of the coil and falls on the control and causes it to go bad. this cover was added to resolve this problem.i am not certain but i think you have a five year parts warrenti on the unit and if you were to call frederick they may be willing to extend it for this one time

Originally posted by mjd1123
    Yes, very hot humid weather now , just died without warning. Thanks!
    1)Turn the circuit breaker off(or unplug it)

2)let it cool down and try again at night time when the temperture is lower.

3)ask the guy what specificly is going wrong with the panel
    (thermostat,relay,ect..)and how it affects the compressor in this way.Something more than "design flaw"...

okay?

good luck!