I need to move my thermostat from 1 side of the wall to the other side of the wall about 2 feet at most. The wire is long enough to reach. Do I need to call a professional?

Originally posted by georgiaho
    I need to move my thermostat from 1 side of the wall to the other side of the wall about 2 feet at most. The wire is long enough to reach. Do I need to call a professional?
    It depends on what you know about low voltage circuits.

Make sure you turn off the Breaker to the furnace/ air handler. Then write down what color wire goes to what designated terminal on the t-stat. Disconnect the t-stat and move.

Its simple really.......but one little "oops" and youll be paying several hundred dollars for a repair.

Have fun, at your own risk.
    It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.

~Albert Camus

Originally posted by georgiaho
    if you know what you're doing........NO

if you don't know what you're doing..Yes

if you attempt it and you screw it up, don't come looking for answers on this board.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

is it unfinished below? or does it come from above? either way would be easy to move but if its coming from below and its finished then you might have to drop the lower ceiling, remove the upper floor, or take out some sheetrock

I can't think of any install I've seen in recent time where there was more than 6" of play in the thermostat wire. Usually there's less than 3" of extra wire. I've seen many with no slack.

if the slack is not what you hope for and you splice on wire make sure it wont come apart or ground out.
    "Mesure twice but cut once"

If you need to ask the question, then yes, you need to call a PRO.

I dont think so, just use common sense.

Remember if its a mercury thermostat it must be level. If its programable, it should also be level but thats only becuase I would shake my head in shame if I saw a crooked thermostat.