Hybrid View

I was called to check out a drain the other day...this is a couter flow unit with the evap. coil sitting directly on the furnace...the owner tells me that for two years this set up has worked just fine but, now, the unit is leaking all over...I took the drain apart to check for any blockage and did not find anything, in fact the drain itself is dry...all of the condensate is making its way into the furnace and out the bottom....does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be...thanks...Jason

how well did you check the pan for cracks?
    is a/c working right?

also what kind of drain I had a miller mobile home unit that had a clear plastic tube for a drain with about 40 holes in it

Since you have the coil on the return side of the blower there needs to be a trap and it needs to be primed, other wise you get what you get.

If this coil is sitting on top of a furnace in the counterflow position then I would also address that (maybe mobile homes allow that, I dont know). Unless its an electric furnace. A gas or oil furnace sould have the coil after the HX.

Yes it could be a cracked drain pan or even dirty coil, the dirt may be preventing proper water management on the coil, dropping it off before it gets to the drain pan. You need to pull that coil and inspect it.

thank you for your responses...this unit has a pvc drain in it with a trap and it has worked like this for 2 years...I like the response about the dirty coil...I think I will start there when I go back and check that out...thank you guys...Jason

Take no offence but dont choose the possibility you like best, choose the one causing the problem. Some coils were never inteded to be used for draw thorugh coils and while it has worked, doesnt mean it has to work for ever. I am betting someone has just been lucky so far.

LOL...ok Doc, which one is causing the problem...I just thought that the dirty coil was a good place to start...thanks for the help...