Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duct Cleaning ?

I can't help but feel I'll start a Holy War with this, but here goes...

What are the PROFESSIONAL opinions on Duct cleaning ?

Is it really worth it?

Does the cleaning of ducting really do anything to help airflow?

House is ~40 years old and has in-slab supply ducting, and a single Return central to the house.

-Larry

If you see a lot of dirt - clean it.
    If it stinks - clean it.

If not, leave it alone.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Originally posted by karsthuntr
    If you see a lot of dirt - clean it.
    If it stinks - clean it.

If not, leave it alone.

in slab floor systems really seem to get nasty. i would say clean it. normal system i would not.

I think this war was started some time ago. Typically the return is where the crud is. Supplies usually get the noddles, dog food etc. and toy's from kids. If you think their is no harm in the collection of filth in the return, pick out a nice chunk and get it analyzed. I think the biggest issue with cleaning ducts is method. In allot of cases the ducting can get torn up and if its internally insulted that will come off too causing nice little floaties in the home.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Ok, so I'm where I started LOL!

-Larry

assuming its metal duct, good to get done
    if insulated, well, I dont know. we dont insulate ducts here

ive seen alot of crap come out of old homes

Well the best thing to do is KEEP THE FILTERS CLEAN AND NOT GET DIRT IN THE SYSTEM

unless you have sheet metal ducts ( and i doubt you do) there is a real good chance of tearing the duct work

Originally posted by ct2
    Well the best thing to do is KEEP THE FILTERS CLEAN AND NOT GET DIRT IN THE SYSTEM

unless you have sheet metal ducts ( and i doubt you do) there is a real good chance of tearing the duct work
    why the doubt? all we have here is metal duct, no one uses flex...anywhere

i thought in slab had to be metal

Originally posted by operator
    i thought in slab had to be metal
    Underground duct is usually fiberglass or pvc. Around here, anyway..

Somebody tell me.. So you've got a bunch of dirt and dust and hair and whatever else sitting in your return duct, and it "causes allergies" and "affects your air quality" and whatever else all the reasons are..

How exactly is it doing that if it's inside the return duct and you have to have a special cleaning to get it out?

How is that any different than having a layer of dust on top of your tv or china cabinet? If the dust is just sitting there, it's not in the air, is it?

Well, the ducts are in concrete so I'm not sure what they are. It looks like bare concrete to me

The filter is a AprilAire 2200 Media Filter installed about 2 months ago.

The 12 years the EAC or standard filters (both have been used prior) were well serviced.

What happened the previous 25 years I can't say.

-Larry

Originally posted by ct2

Guess I may get flamed here but I have had to go in a replace a lot of ductwork after duct cleaning out fits have been they. Now the main reason I replaced it was smoke damage on fire jobs and being Im not a believer of sealing ductwork inside because of expansion and contraction. Now about every duct that I have ever pulled down to replace was full of dirt and garbage and never looked like it had been cleaned. Now that may just be the fault of the cleaning company but every one of them that calls me and wants me to recomend them to my customers, goes away and I never hear from them again when I tell them to call me on the next few jobs they have and show me how good of job they do. Kinda makes me think a lot of them go by the idea of if owners cant really see where it was cleaned then they can claim all they want. Almost have to have a snake with a camera to prove how good you are if you are honest. Thats just my opinion.

in slab ductwork 40 yrs old is probably metal or transite. never saw pvc or fiberglass in anything that old around here. at least take a flashlight and mirror, pop out a few supply registers and have a look. you will know if it needs to be cleaned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast