Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

my fellow tech said it makes a difference to compressor operation, which voltage run cap you use. i say that voltage stated on the run cap is it`s dielectric limits, and the microfarads in new, should be same as old, at usual 208v to 240v conditions.

Originally posted by somized
    my fellow tech said it makes a difference to compressor operation, which voltage run cap you use.
    Well I have to agree with that statement. I would rather use the correct mfd than volts in an emergency.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

Use Same MFD
    Use Equal to or higher than Voltage rating.
    (i.e. its ok to replace a 370v with a 440v)

You are right. The voltage is just a maximum operating voltage and has nothing to do with the function as a capacitor. Operating within its voltage limits, any capacitor with the same MFD value will perform the same.

paul

The voltage rating on a capacitor is the voltage limit of the capacitor. Exceeding the capacitor's rated voltage may cause the dielectric to break down and the capacitor to short out.

That said, you need to realize that a motor is an inductive device. When you the supply voltage is applied to the motor run winding, the voltage across the start windings will be increased to a higher voltage value. A motor acts like a transformer with the run winding acting as the primary and the start winding acting as the secondary.

This is why the capacitor has a much higher voltage rating than the supply voltage.

What problems would result in using a 35 mfd, when a unit had a 30 mfd ?

Just wondering, They always say stay within a certain percentage
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

sopositly you can go up or down 5% but i always put in the same size mfd but only use 440v caps
    less to carrier on the truck
    5mfd and 7.5 mfd 370v and 440 v on truck

Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    sopositly you can go up or down 5%
    I always thought 20% but heck what do I know.

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

mr bill it may be 20% i was tought so long ago 5% and have always gone by that

I thought it was 10% over and 5% under.

Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    mr bill it may be 20% i was tought so long ago 5% and have always gone by that
    No, your probably right for some reason that just came to mind.

Had a blown up cap today at 5pm. It was a 40/3 370V cap and I didn't have one on the truck. So I took 2 10uf, and 4 5uf, and linked them with a 3uf so I could get them a/c until I could get the right cap. It was ugly and I had to strap it under the electrical box but it works.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

I'll bet that looked like a time bomb strap to the undercarrage.

No one has said what will happen if the higher mfd is used and not changed.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast