I worked on a Manni today, the dump valve had been leaking for sometime, now that it's repaired I have a problem with calcium build up that you would not beleive, what is the best way to remove the build up? any type spray on works?

Since you say it was a leaky dump valve, I'm assuming that the calcium buildup is in the compressor compartment section and has spread all over the base of the machine.

A lot of that will be able to be chipped out, but most of it you just can't get at short of removing the compressor or even the condenser if it's gone that far.

I usually repair the leak and leave the crud there as most customers don't want you to spend a lot of time and money cleaning something that they likely won't get written up for.

For bad mineral deposits that absolutely have to be removed, I start with mechanical cleaning.....like chipping and scraping. After that I use acid....anything from Manitowoc cleaner to muriatic.

There's no magic spray-on stuff that I know of.

Thanks again icemeister

but that's not the answer I wanted to hear
    I wanted you to tell me to spray something on and rinse off.
    It's one of my makers at the hotel, being I now takecare of them I want them to be as clean as possible, now that we renovated the entire floor I wanted them to look their best, even the outside panels have calcium build up on them, that I can re-paint though, I mean it's everywhere, the curtain,compressor, wiring, look horrible, boos told me not to knock myself out, he said he was please that he has some one who enjoys working on them and keeping them running, just i have to do it my way, sure you understand what I'm talking about.
    Now that I learned how to repair them, (got a lot of advice from you and others)I might as well keeping them looking good also.

I think your boss was telling you not to spend a lot of time and money......but that he does appreciate your enthusiasm.

I thought you were replacing all of these older machines soon.....No?

Yes we are, we received the ok from corp. but still no knew units, I think what their waiting for is to finish the renovation, we have two floors done with 13 to go, they got a late start, it's amazing to see these guys go at, on the first floor we have 28 rooms plus the hallway, they gutted everything, walls, ceilings, tubs, carpet, and then put everything brand new in 3 weeks, it's really something to see, every morning when I arrive I am shocked to see what was done in just one day, I removed the ice machins and went through them with a fine tooth comb, cleaned them inside and out, put them back where they go to untill we receive the new ones, i figure we might get a few more extra bucks when we seel the used ones being they are really running well.
    Icemeister, what could we get for a Mantitowoc 450 model that are 8-10 years old?

Originally posted by hiltontech

Icemeister, what could we get for a Mantitowoc 450 model that are 8-10 years old?
    Sounds like undertaker time.

Usually, being that old and not having much TLC, they will need more and more nickel and dime parts and adjustments. If you are so inclined, you could take them home and hustle them one at a time to a bar or small mom and pop resturant. Sell them cheap enough so you don't get involved with warranties beyond a standard 30/30 guarantee. (30 feet out the door or 30 seconds, whichever comes first) No, you do not deliver or install. Let them see it making ice, grab the cash then help them install it into their vehicle. That should also save your boss a disposal fee.

Fred

The undertaker has been there and knows of what he speaks. I've had good luck, though, over the years refurbishing and reselling used icemakers. A 8-10 year old machine is in its twilight years so in the best condition the top end price will be somewhat under half the cost of a similar new machine. Average condition can bring maybe 1/3 that of new.

Selling a your old machines poses a few problems however.

These are set on hotel dispensers and not the typical ice storage bin. Most places can't use a dispenser (unless their in the hotel business).

You need a lot of space to store that many machines.

Selling them individually as is will bring a higher dollar than wholesaling them off to a dealer but you will spend a lot of time trying to peddle them yourself.