Hello all. I'm looking for opinions on a few options I have for a system replacement. I have narrowed down my contractor to one I trust through past business with them, from talking to others who had a system installed by this contractor, and seeing other installs they have done.

My replacement work will consist of a new heat pump, air handler, refrigeration lines, some ductwork, and thermostat/thermidstat.

I'm in Northern Kentucky, just south of Cincinnati. The unit will be used for the second story of my home. And the air handler will be installed in the attic.

After coming out to look at the old system, performing calculations, and discussing options with me, the contractor provided a proposal with three brand choices: Bryant, Carrier, and Trane. The specific models are:

- Bryant Preferred Series model 650-024 with FV4 airhandler
    - Carrier Performance Series #38YXA-024 with FV4 airhandler
    - Trane XL14i R410A with matching VS airhandler (Sorry, don't have the model number yet)

From reading this forum, I know that the contractor is the most important factor in the installation of a new system. However, does anyone have opinions or guidance as to picking between these models?

Thanks ahead of time for your help!

Since Carrier makes Bryant, it sounds like you have two choices. All things being equal I prefer Trane. Their condenser coils are (uniquely) all aluminum. They make their own compressors and they're reputed to be one of the best if not the best. If I were a sales jerk I'd know the rest of the story. Suffice it to say that they build a tough unit. After ten years of being a service man for others I went into biz for myself and chose Trane because of what I saw as a service man.

But... all things are never equal. Carrier is just fine IMO. If you can get more for less with Carrier then go for it.

Post Carrier...

Originally posted by 5hole
    Hello all. I'm looking for opinions on a few options I have for a system replacement. I have narrowed down my contractor to one I trust through past business with them, from talking to others who had a system installed by this contractor, and seeing other installs they have done.

Just installed a pair of Puron 38YXA & FV4 air handlers, exceptional systems.

Trane is a good choice too but remmeerb your paying for a lot of Choo Choo advertising... someone's got to pay for it...

Interesting that your contractor is providing you both brands.. Probably not a Carrier dealer, just has access to it...
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

It's all nice stuff. Which line is your installer more comfortable with?

Have you considered the FE4 air handler and Infinity control? You can match them up with the same Carrier/Bryant heat pumps and get lots of nifty features.

If you would like to consider a 2nd opinion from a reputable Cincinnati-area leader that has been providing top-notch residential replacement equipment for over 50 years, we would be pleased to help you out. You can email me at willh @ monroeinc.com or contact us through our website. Good luck on your new install!

Trane XLi systems will have a 10 year parts warranty. I haven't sold Carrier for a few years, but I think their Infinity Systems only have a 5 year parts warranty. I always did like the Carrier system with the Thermidistat. You can get similiar results using Trane's Comfort R systems with the Honeywell Vision Pro tstat with humidistat option.

Thanks for the info folks.

AllTemp, the contractor is a Carrier/Bryant dealer. From talking to a tech who serviced the existing units, I found out that the company bought a Trane dealer at some point. When the guy came out I asked if Trane was an option and he said yes. I just wanted to make sure I considered all of the available options.

wyounger, the guy who came out prefered Carrier/Bryant, but certainly didn't push it over the Trane. Based on their long history with Carrier, I'd assume they would be more comfortable with that line. I have considered the FE4 and Infinity control, but I'm not sure I want/need it for the second story system. I'll look into it again though.

beachhvac, the proposal includes 10 year parts and labor on all systems. Thanks for reminding me though. I hadn't thought to check that again.

Again, thanks for the info folks!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    FE and Infinity is worth the few extar dollars,look closely at the diefferences.