Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What is everyone's take on flex duct vs. hard duct?

I live in an older house and I am thinking about having the duct work re-done in flex.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    It works fine and we have 25 years old jobs that it's still in good condition.It's easy to install,but often not designede or installed properly ,so choose your contractor carefully.

you would have to check codes, but here in minnesota you cannot run more than 14 ft of flex per run on supply. return air has no flex limits, use common tinning sense a return 25 ft or longer isnt going to pull air very well

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The length of the return ,if sized properly ,is not important to the performance.But it a waste to make any duct longer then needed.

Originally posted by dash
    The length of the return ,if sized properly ,is not important to the performance.But it a waste to make any duct longer then needed.
    There have been times that the main return is close to the coil and the blower creates disturbing noise. I was told to increase the flex duct so it drowns out the sound. I've done it in the past and seems to work. Is this considered bad practice?
    Get back to work.

Originally posted by aw
    What is everyone's take on flex duct vs. hard duct?

I live in an older house and I am thinking about having the duct work re-done in flex.
    why?
    what do you have now?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Originally posted by square2round
    There have been times that the main return is close to the coil and the blower creates disturbing noise. I was told to increase the flex duct so it drowns out the sound. I've done it in the past and seems to work. Is this considered bad practice?
    Yep that is standard practice for me when it's going in an attic. hung with nylon not metal strap.

I much prefer metal ducts compared to flex but being flex is much cheaper most around my parts (louisiana) tend to go with flex.
    If you do go with metal ducts make sure to insulated so not to have a leaking problem.
    One thing that stands out when talking about metal ducts is that wants their in, their in, last forever it seems.

Originally posted by thehumid1
    Originally posted by square2round
    Yep that is standard practice for me when it's going in an attic. hung with nylon not metal strap.
    Yes...nylon strap on flex.

I also meant by increasing the length of the duct...not the size.
    Get back to work.

I've got hard duct now, was just wanting to upgrade.

Maybe it's time to rehab the hard duct.

trust me flex is not an upgrade. see which one costs more to install.

why do you need to "re-hab" it?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Around here it cost twice as much if not more to install metal ducts compared to flex, just a lot more work installing metal ducts.
    As tinner73 said, it's not considered and upgrade, not even close of one if you ask me.

flex has earned it way into hvac and has its place
    if in an attic as take off it works great and should not sweat. in a cellar hard pipe is bast and in most places it is code. should not be ran in an inclosed space
    duct work is best and will last a life time
    most companies abuse flex and run it for everything and this is not what it was for.
    run duct work and have it size properly you will find you have a better job in the long run
    besides it is proven rectangular duct is less restricive then flex so air flo will be better

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast