Thread: creative AC

Question

We have a 20 yr old house on a lake in MN, which we are turning into a Bed and Breakfast. We do not have forced air, so no ducts. The house is split into 2 sections....1) the upstairs bedrooms & bath for customers and 2) The main floor with our bedroom, laundry, bath,kitchen, dining, & living rooms. I need help finding some options for cooling this house that is quiet, and cost effective, and can stand our bitter cold winters. Most conerns are upstairs and kitchen. I read something about flexible tubes running through the attics to each room. PS. The upstairs is not over the main floor, but over the office and shop which are down stairs 6 steps. That area stays pretty cool. Please help with some creative solutions. Our local HVAC guy didn't know of anything.

do a search for mini splits or high velocity systems ie... spacepack

as dhvac stated, go mini split. another idea would be window a/c. i'm sure you could have your local hvac company rig up some kinda control to keep crazy people from turning the ac down way low (like set the temp and have a lock box installed over the control panel)

Question Summer + Winter

Originally posted by mnjan
    I need help finding some options for cooling this house that is quiet, and cost effective, and can stand our bitter cold winters.
    ANY Heating requirements?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

If you need or can do heating, the Unico System is the way to go.

http://www.unicosystem.com

Heat is supplied by a wood burning boiler system with backup propane. Window units are not an option for multiple reasons. I do want the cooling system to have at least 2 thermostats, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. Is that possible with the spacepak system? How does that system rank to other high velosity systems? I was very intriqued by what I saw on the Spacepak website. Now getting down to proper installation of whatever kind of unit we find. What is the best way to find a technician to install our AC. Do they need to be trained specifically on that kind of unit, or are all cooling systems basically the same and any technician can install it. Are there any good questions that I should ask to determine the quality of work they do? Any help is very much appreciated.