I have had a few quotes so far on replacing our central air unit and need some help sorting out what’s important in regards to the install. I’ve discounted one already since he gave offhand suggestions without explaining or evaluating anything.
On the opposite end of the spectrum was a guy who explained a lot about AC systems but also went into an overdone sales spiel. In spite of his over-rehearsed sales technique, the contractor he represents seems solid, good reputation and good warranties. However, I am having a hard time seeing how their quote is 50% more than another contractor quoting the same basic system (a Goodman 13 SEER, 4 ton unit). Here are some items he said were very important that were not mentioned by the “non-sales” guy. Please tell me how much these things matter or if they account for such a price difference.
1) Insisted we MUST replace the copper between outside unit and AHU in garage. Said that if something goes wrong because of any particles or such in the old line, the manufacturer will not honor the warranty.
2) Said we MUST replace the plenum above the AHU, and said most contractors won’t even bother with this. He said there is probably mold and stuff in there.
3) As part of install they will add a layer of concrete to our existing pad to bring it up a little (we have no water problems in that area though)
4) Said the dark material near one of the ceiling ducts was likely mold, and he would include a treatment for this “free”. Basically blowing some kind of mold killing stuff through the ductwork. Claimed this was worth “hundreds”.
5) They will check existing ductwork in attic to make sure there aren’t pre-existing gaps, holes etc.
6) Quote includes programmable thermostat vs. regular digital thermostat of other quote.
So, the high-pressure sales presentation puts me off (especially when he was trying to convince me to go 19SEER high-end), but I thought he brought up some points worth considering. Though I don’t see how this accounts for such a large difference in the quotes. Any comments on this list? Thanks!