I've been perusing through the Residential and Wall of Pride forums and have a question about condensate trapping on condensing furnaces. If the condensate is draining from furnace through 3/4" piping and into a pump, would a drain trap still be necessary? This an upflow system, a-coil on top, and condesing furnace. I haven't seen alot of pictures in the wall of pride section showing drain traps on some 90% units and was wondering what people are doing.

You should have a trap in almost all instances.

Read: http://www.trane.com/commercial/issues/iaq/iaq5.asp
    for the long story on traps.

paul

There is a trap in all 90% furnaces already so I never trap them again.

what trane said

long answer made short you PROBALLY do not need a trap if you are using a 90+ and a condensate pump

however a trap would not hurt

Thanks for the article. I'll be putting a trap on this weekend.

Great, now all 90,s are going to be double trapped. It won't hurt but it also won't help. All you are doing is adding a likely place for the drain to cause future problems.

I see. Thanks everyone for clarifying.

Originally posted by trane
    Great, now all 90,s are going to be double trapped. It won't hurt but it also won't help. All you are doing is adding a likely place for the drain to cause future problems.
    I have an 80 and no trap between the humidifier and condensate drain. My drain is plumbed directly into the sewer and there is a trap there, but it has occoured to me that since there is an opening at the humidifier where air can be sucked in, and a place for it to go into the air handler through the drip tray, that I need another trap.

I've been told when using a condensate pump, no trap is needed. Therefore, I've never installed one when using a pump. If this is incorrect, please clarify so I can correct this.
    Get back to work.™