Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I do have a question, how are you seeing run times? When I go into the system setup, I go to furnace info and it shows cycles, ect but under AC, everything shows zeros..Very wierd..The system has been correctly identified by the control and shows no current faults.
    Software glitch. ODU doesn't report run times correctly to the UI. Does not affect system permformance or operation.

From your description, the unit is sized right on the money, or it's a bit short. With temps pushing 95 to 100, you shouldn't be able to recover for quite some time from 80 to 76. Systems are designed to maintain when at maximum conditions. The design temperature for Austin, TX is 96. The unit should shruggle to lower the temperature.

I'm not saying that you don't have problems, but I wouldn't get excited about the lack of pulldown in the late afternoon and evening.

Should it be running constantly at high speed, even late into the night? Seems it never shuts off, and almost never runs at low speed(early morning only). I was told that the way the system is designed, it should use high speed to satisfy temp differences, then use low speed to maintain but this one never gets to that place. I know a large temp swing can cause troubles but I would think it should be able to handle a 4 degree swing, is this wrong thinking? I know my old house had no trouble satisfying larger temp swings, but I think it was oversized. I have to say this one is doing a chipper job at humidity control, I am just afraid with it running full steam all the time it's gonna eat my lunch. Another note, this is with two adults, no kids running in and out and what's gonna happen when we have a party?
    Anyway thanks for letting me know about the display..I will know more when the Carrier guy comes on Friday..I just may be expecting too much from the system but I would hope it could at least give me 76 degrees..

John

In my opinion, these things run best when you dont touch the thermostat. Mine runs in low-speed 80% of the time nad has been averaging about 9 hours a day for the last 7 weeks - we live in southeast GA. If you bump the thermostat down a few degrees then that will force it into high-speed mode. Basicly, it should run in low-speed for long periods of time and pop into high-speed in the afternoon and then move back into low-speed in the evening. Mine draws about 1.3 KWs in low-speed so it cost about 1 dime an hour to run in low-speed - not too shabby. Our biggest problem is that it cant keep up in high speed when the temperature is in the mid 90's - we will deal with that shortly.

Originally posted by John Winn
    Should it be running constantly at high speed, even late into the night? Seems it never shuts off, and almost never runs at low speed(early morning only). I was told that the way the system is designed, it should use high speed to satisfy temp differences, then use low speed to maintain but this one never gets to that place. I know a large temp swing can cause troubles but I would think it should be able to handle a 4 degree swing, is this wrong thinking? I know my old house had no trouble satisfying larger temp swings, but I think it was oversized. I have to say this one is doing a chipper job at humidity control, I am just afraid with it running full steam all the time it's gonna eat my lunch. Another note, this is with two adults, no kids running in and out and what's gonna happen when we have a party?
    Anyway thanks for letting me know about the display..I will know more when the Carrier guy comes on Friday..I just may be expecting too much from the system but I would hope it could at least give me 76 degrees..

John

Bill,
    Look here, you should be able to find the manual for your furnace:
    http://www.commercial.carrier.com/details/0,2806,CLI1_DIV41_ETI6245,00.html

click on the model, then when it pulls up your furnace click on documents and click techlit
    John

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    With infinity the low speed is about 50% of high speed capacity.

When the outdoor temp is in the mid to high 80's ,it's likely to run on high speed.

Setting it back 4°,it will run a lot to catch up.

Now every house will be a little different.Say you need all or close to all of a 4 ton units capacity at outdoor design temp.That system will run more in high then a 4 ton that was selected ,because a 3 ton was just a little too small to cover the load.

When it's stated that a typical two speed runs in low 70% of the time,that includes all days and hours of the day,not low 70% of the hot summer days.

Thinking that it runs in high to get to a temoerature and then low to maintain that same temp,is wrong,they shouldn't explain it like that as it won't happen on warmer days.

Thanks John... will do!

Hey Bill, your welcome..Hope it helps..

Thanks Dash for your comments, and explaining a bit more of the protocol of operation of the Infinity..I have nothing to compare to other than the two speed Lennox Innovator HS21 I had at my old house..
    I looked at your credentials on the link there..Very impressive..Wish you were here I would hire you to check these guys work. The guy coming Friday has the Carrier blue seal by his name on the Carrier site so hopefully he will be helpful.
    Have another question regarding system design. If this entire system including duct work is engineered correctly, should all the rooms in my house be pretty much the same temp? All three bedrooms are 3-7 degrees different, even with it running full blast. Two of these rooms even have dedicated returns for a total of three. It's all one story, very well insulated and such. Noticed this even in winter. One thing we found strange was the location of the vents. They are all located in the ceiling in front of the windows and were blowing at the glass. I turned them around to blow toward the room and it seems to help the temp difference a bit in these rooms..Oh another thing this condensor is really loud. Carrier has all that hoopla of how quiet this unit is, and when it starts the compressor hums very loudly, specially right when it starts. The Lennox mentioned above was virtually silent in comparison..I wish I could find another infinity in my neighborhood to compare to..
    Anyway thanks a million for all your help..
    John

Thanks for the kind words!

3 degrees difference ,room to room,at the time the equipment cycles off(due to solar loads warming some faster than others),is the standard,though I don't know where it's actually written or came from.

A few larger builders ,even have this in their contracts with us.Gets us the work often ,as we can design the ducts right.Really anyone could,it's not all that difficult.

Your Lennox was likely around 70% capacity on low speed,and as you said may have been oversized as well.

If I remember the lovers on your grilles were "slanted",if so I look at replacing with curved blades to direct the air along the ceiling.May not be needed,if rooms are comfortable(not at lot cooler close to the floor) ,it's just they way we do it,but with grilles on interior walls ,directing the flow to outside.

[Edited by dash on 06-29-2005 at 05:30 PM]

Hi Dash..
    I would buy 3 degrees when off but this is when running full speed. Not bad at night but during the day, specially the master BR is pretty warm. I don't have any vents shut at all...Everything in the house is wide open and I leave all the ceiling fans on low all the time now.
    The vents, I have always thought they sorta cheap charlied me on those..These are those funky plastic ones that you pull the grill down to open or push up to close..I have been searching far and wide on the internet to see if any manufacture makes a four way in the sizes that I have but alas all I can find are 1,2 and 3 way..I have not seen any with curved fins, that sounds interesting, like it would give you a more even flow about the room..I am wanting to replace them with nicer ones..I don't like these..
    Hey something else that strikes me as wierd, when I go outside in the mornings to water plants out there, there is water running out of the condensor bottom. There must be some line in there collecting moisture but I can't see inside..It's not the evap drain line as it's in the attic and piped directly to a bathroom drain..But I have never seen a condensor unit do this before. The larger line coming from the house to the unit has foam insulation on it but the tiny one with the filter doesn't but it doesn't seem to be collecting moisture. Looking inside thru the running fan it looks like the larger line coming from the compressor might be wet but it's hard to see..
    Update on my programming..Someone had mentioned that my offsets were too high so I changed them..Now I have it set to 78 during the day, 76 at 4:30..Still can't do it..She ran on high till bed time last night..Now I will say, doing that change did make the house a bit more comfortable, but it still couldn't satisfy the two degree drop all afternoon..
    Thanks!
    John
    (sorry Bill, off topic again)

3 degrees is the maximum,7 degrees ,as you mentioned is not acceptable,IMHO.

Your system may well be undersized slightly,only the load calculation wil tell.Since it's required in Texas ,as in Florida,the building dept.,should be able to provide a copy.

Your 4 ton TDB at 350cfms per ton,95° OD and 75° Indoor,is only 43330 btus total and 32070 sensible btus.Same criteria ,with 80°indoors(ARI standard),is 47110 total btus,so they could have used that data.

I mention this as they may have a load that's less than 48000 btus total,but failed to look at the "detailed cooling capacity",since they don't usually sell Carrier.

If it's undersized,look at any options ,to reduce the load,before going to five tons.Increasing attic insulation,adding a radiant barrier,window tinting etc..

These would be at their expense of course.The reason I suggest it,is that it would save you operating cost ,by keeping the 4 ton .

Hi Dash..
    I would buy 3 degrees when off but this is when running full speed. Not bad at night but during the day, specially the master BR is pretty warm. I don't have any vents shut at all...Everything in the house is wide open and I leave all the ceiling fans on low all the time now.
    The vents, I have always thought they sorta cheap charlied me on those..These are those funky plastic ones that you pull the grill down to open or push up to close..I have been searching far and wide on the internet to see if any manufacture makes a four way in the sizes that I have but alas all I can find are 1,2 and 3 way..I have not seen any with curved fins, that sounds interesting, like it would give you a more even flow about the room..I am wanting to replace them with nicer ones..I don't like these..
    Hey something else that strikes me as wierd, when I go outside in the mornings to water plants out there, there is water running out of the condensor bottom. There must be some line in there collecting moisture but I can't see inside..It's not the evap drain line as it's in the attic and piped directly to a bathroom drain..But I have never seen a condensor unit do this before. The larger line coming from the house to the unit has foam insulation on it but the tiny one with the filter doesn't but it doesn't seem to be collecting moisture. Looking inside thru the running fan it looks like the larger line coming from the compressor might be wet but it's hard to see..
    Update on my programming..Someone had mentioned that my offsets were too high so I changed them..Now I have it set to 78 during the day, 76 at 4:30..Still can't do it..She ran on high till bed time last night..Now I will say, doing that change did make the house a bit more comfortable, but it still couldn't satisfy the two degree drop all afternoon..
    Thanks!
    John
    (sorry Bill, off topic again)

Leaving the ceiling fans running is not the best thing to do.They cool people,not the home,use them as you do lights,on when you are there,off when you leave.Saves a little electricity.

No harm in leaving them on,just no benefit.

Bill,

The outdoor temperature sensor is only factory integrated into the outdoor unit itself on the the Infinity two speed units. With your setup (same as I've got at home) the temperature sensor connects to the furnace board, and the sensor itself can go just about anywhere it wants so long as it's outside and in the shade. They are frequently, but not always, run outside alongside the low voltage wire that goes to the outdoor unit. Mine is basically just tied off on the high voltage conduit halfway between the wall of the house and the outdoor unit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast