Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question

What is needed to make the outside temp reading on Infinity stat. Does this serve any purpose in the control of the system or is it just for the convenience of knowing the outdoor temp?

Homeowner (and Carrier Infinity Owner) here. If nothing else, the outdoor temperature sensor enables you to control the inside humidity levels automatically. (Ideal indoor humidity level is a function of outdoor temperature). With an outdoor temperature sensor and an indoor humidifier, you can set the indoor humidity level once and it will adjust automatically to the outdoor temperature. Without it, you would need to manually and "constantly" adjust the indoor humidity based on the outdoor temperature - worst case is that in very cold weather, the windows will sweat and mould could form on the walls.

There might be other uses for the outdoor sensor, but that is what I use it for.

As far as "making it work", the installer just plugged it into the proper (labelled) pins on the board and attached the sensor to the outside of the house. And it worked.

Infinity owner here too. In the standard setup, the outside temp is also used for the cooling lockout function. When the outside temperature drops to the lockout temp, the infinity control will not permit the AC to run. In our case, we have a dual fuel setup with heat pump and gas furnance. In this configuration, there is also a furnance lockout temp. When the outside temperature is above this setting, the furnance will not be permitted to run(i.e. only the heat pump will be used for heating).

When they installed my Infinity, there was nothing in the setup to turn on the outside temp display, it was automatic. The Infinity condensor has the sensor built in. Now, your installer may not have followed instructions to move the sensor to the bottom of the floor pan so it reads real outdoor temp. I don't think ours did as it reads high when the unit is running..

Questions for Canquest and Ricknc. Infinity owner here too and am having some issues..Where are you located? I am in my first summer, brand new house. Does your Infinity have trouble satisfying the set temp during the heat of the day? Does your unit run constantly on high or does it run on high to satisfy, then run long on low speed? I think my contractor blew it. I don't think they are familiar with the Infinity and only installed it because my builder told them that was what I wanted(they are trane and york dealer)..I live in Central Texas (Bastrop, near Austin) and right now we are having outdoor daytime temps in the mid-high 90's. I have my Infinity control programmed to setback to 80 during the day and 76 at 4:30..Yesterday it read 78 when we got home at 5:00, running full blast and about 10:30 it finally dropped to 77, still running on high. Was still running on high when we went to bed. I know the system is designed to run nearly constantly during the heat but I was left to believe it should run mostly on low. The only time ours sees low speed is early in the morning. What does yours do?
    Thanks so much.
    John

Question

Is it true that the sensor is already in the heat pump??? Or does another sensor have to be wired and placed somewhere outside to read outside temp? I'm having the heat pump system installed with electric heat.

Don't know about the heat pump models but the AC models have it built in. Apparently the sensor is there for operational purposes but the Infinity Control uses it for users display..It should display automatically on the top part of your display..I would think, I know mine did..
    John

Canquest here. As I live way north, we don't have a need for an air conditioner, and therefore none is installed. It appears from the other posts that if you have an outdoor (Carrier) unit, an outdoor temperature sensor may already be "built-in" and just needs to be plugged into the furnace board.

However in my case (no outdoor unit), the small outdoor temperature sensor that came with the infinity control was used. The installer fastened it to the exterior of the house (out of direct sunlight), connected it to a long lead wire that would reach back to the furnace, and plugged it into the appropriate spot on the furnace board.

Originally posted by John Winn
    I have my Infinity control programmed to setback to 80 during the day and 76 at 4:30..Yesterday it read 78 when we got home at 5:00, running full blast and about 10:30 it finally dropped to 77, still running on high. Was still running on high when we went to bed. I know the system is designed to run nearly constantly during the heat but I was left to believe it should run mostly on low. The only time ours sees low speed is early in the morning. What does yours do?
    Thanks so much.
    John
    I'd call the installers back out on that one... I'm guessing they didn't do a load calculation, or they screwed up the install, as that sounds like an undersized system there, which is something that shouldn't happen with a 2 stage system.

I'd call the installers back out on that one... I'm guessing they didn't do a load calculation, or they screwed up the install, as that sounds like an undersized system there, which is something that shouldn't happen with a 2 stage system.
    [/B]
    Agreed..Situation is, the builder contracted these guys and I don't think they are factory trained. I think they are the builders "buddies" even though they are a big company in a few Texas cities..They don't even list Carrier as one of their brands. I have an appointment with a local Carrier factory authorized dealer who is gonna come and evaluate the system. I have had mixed comments on another post regarding the system, most feel it's too small and the installer "claimed" to have done a manual J. It's a brand new 2600+ sq foot house in central Texas with 10-18' ceilings and nearly 30 windows and house faces west..Four ton installed..
    John

I have a Bryant Evolution system - same thing as Infinity. I just had the factory rep out today with the installer. The installer needs to replace the lineset - should have put in 7/8" vapor line but used 3/4" instead. Also, the charge was wrong. It has had trouble meeting the setpoint when it is hot ( 95F ). After some research, I noted that the capacity of the system ( 3 ton nominal ) is really 31K BTUs at the Manual J design point ( 95F/75F outdoor/indoor ). The Manual J load was 36K BTUs - I have been shorted 1/2 ton. We will reevaluate after the lineset is replace and charge adjusted. If we still cant maintain the installers design point of 75F then he will either have to put in a 4 ton condensor or we will have to consider legal options.

Typically is does run on low-speed 80% of the time - checked the runtime statistics on the user interface. Kicks into high-speed in the mid afternoon.

Originally posted by John Winn
    When they installed my Infinity, there was nothing in the setup to turn on the outside temp display, it was automatic. The Infinity condensor has the sensor built in. Now, your installer may not have followed instructions to move the sensor to the bottom of the floor pan so it reads real outdoor temp. I don't think ours did as it reads high when the unit is running..

Questions for Canquest and Ricknc. Infinity owner here too and am having some issues..Where are you located? I am in my first summer, brand new house. Does your Infinity have trouble satisfying the set temp during the heat of the day? Does your unit run constantly on high or does it run on high to satisfy, then run long on low speed? I think my contractor blew it. I don't think they are familiar with the Infinity and only installed it because my builder told them that was what I wanted(they are trane and york dealer)..I live in Central Texas (Bastrop, near Austin) and right now we are having outdoor daytime temps in the mid-high 90's. I have my Infinity control programmed to setback to 80 during the day and 76 at 4:30..Yesterday it read 78 when we got home at 5:00, running full blast and about 10:30 it finally dropped to 77, still running on high. Was still running on high when we went to bed. I know the system is designed to run nearly constantly during the heat but I was left to believe it should run mostly on low. The only time ours sees low speed is early in the morning. What does yours do?
    Thanks so much.
    John

Originally posted by tuccillo
    I have a Bryant Evolution system - same thing as Infinity. I just had the factory rep out today with the installer. The installer needs to replace the lineset - should have put in 7/8" vapor line but used 3/4" instead. Also, the charge was wrong. It has had trouble meeting the setpoint when it is hot ( 95F ). After some research, I noted that the capacity of the system ( 3 ton nominal ) is really 31K BTUs at the Manual J design point ( 95F/75F outdoor/indoor ). The Manual J load was 36K BTUs - I have been shorted 1/2 ton. We will reevaluate after the lineset is replace and charge adjusted. If we still cant maintain the installers design point of 75F then he will either have to put in a 4 ton condensor or we will have to consider legal options.

Typically is does run on low-speed 80% of the time - checked the runtime statistics on the user interface. Kicks into high-speed in the mid afternoon.

Hey Tuccillo,
    Wow..I am so worried about what the Carrier guy is gonna find out here..I have been on the phone with the distributor in Austin where the contractor is, and he discovered they bought the equipment in San Antonio and he had the SA rep call me, he had called the SA branch of the business and "apparently" they bought the stuff and sold it to the branch in Austin..Red flags went up all over the place during installation..Specially when I told them I wanted the Infinity Control, and they had no clue what it was!!!! When they finally did put that in, the guy didn't have any idea how to set it up so I had to do it for him (of course most of it is done automatically based on the equipment)
    I do have a question, how are you seeing run times? When I go into the system setup, I go to furnace info and it shows cycles, ect but under AC, everything shows zeros..Very wierd..The system has been correctly identified by the control and shows no current faults.
    I would love to see the manual J they claimed to have run on my house. The guy who is coming out Friday says he doesn't use MJ, not sure what he does, but whatever he does it must be good for him to be a certified Carrier dealer..From what I gather, if you use a certified dealer they are backed by Carrier 100%..He is gonna do a total evaluation of the installation for me..Hopefully something will come of this..I hope I don't have to take these guys to court but as much as I spent on this darn thing I don't want to get screwed on it either...The Friday guy was even recommended by the Carrier supply house and is listed on Carrier's website.
    Thanks for the info!
    John

Can I pull this back to discussing Infinity t-stats and outdoor temp sensing please?

In the case of an Infinity furnace, an Infinity t-stat and a Performance series (13 SEER) condensor outside, what sensors are where? And, this sensor wire runs from where to where??

I want to ensure ours is set up correctly when we go hot in our new home in August.

Hi Bill,
    Sorry it got sidetracked..
    From what I read in the manual, if you have the infinity furnace but not the infinity condensor, then you will indeed need to add the seperate sensor. Now, when the installer put my infinity control in, the sensor was in the box so it must have been included (he didn't leave it with me, nor is it needed with the infinity condensor) so my guess is you will need to get that sensor, install it outside, run the wires into the area where the furnace is and connect it to the board. If you don't have the install book for your unit, you can search on Carrier's site and they have the manuals on file there..But I believe once you connect that, you will see that outdoor temp displayed at the top of the control display..
    Hope this helps a bit...
    John

[Edited by John Winn on 06-29-2005 at 03:46 PM]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast