Pumpdown How to... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    shut down the valve on the little line and run the unit until it starts making loud bangs then shut the other one and hope you can run fast

Yes, I can rent a vacuum pump and I have gages, it's a scroll, and I have access to the service disconnet etc.

This unit is a used one located an hours drive away. It would be impractical for my to pay labor to disconnect the unit and then pay again to connect. I can only seeing paying once, and in FLORIDA a/c service labor is averaging to several hundred dollars just to show up to the door and look at the thing.

I just want to relocate to my business since its about $800.00 and seems to be in good shape an running good.

You're buying a used air conditioner here in Florida? Be afraid....be very afraid. Put your money towards a new in-expensive brand....you're better off. I wouldn't pay squat for a used air conditioner....and I could install it and fix it if necessary. JMO
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Originally posted by rabelrouser
    tangledwebster:

For being a legal DIY you can get a EPA 609 license off the web for a few hours study and an open book test (you can't hire yourself out with that license) and you need to paint an old propane tank grey with an yellow top, etc. since you look like you got everything else or can rent it.
    To get past most the pros here, in the future pevaricate like Clinton did and phrase your questions differently, such as:

"the epa lic. tech I hired says he does not have to evacuate my system to move it, only to pump it down and evac the remainder so I don't loose as much R22. Is this right or should he just evac the freon and recharge, was told freon gets old with age" <G>

609 is not a cert for non mobil refrigeration units.

608 is.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by t527ed
    what ever they charge you would be cheaper than the $20,000 dollar fine if you get caught. we have video cameras and we are watching. reward is easier money than working for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    yes, beware of the epa police (nannies?)

they watch closely from mars and swoop down in the middle of the night in thier ufo's. then take you to places unknown (area 51 maybe?)where a microchip is implanted behind your left ear. the microchip is actually a tiny version of the d-tek refrigerant detector so that any time in the future refrigerant is noticed near you, THEY will know.

how many people here can honestly say they have encountered the refrigerant nannies? i'm guessing 0, because there is no such thing.

Littering is a $500 fine,so don't spit that cherry seed out the truck window,you have more of a chance of being caught than by the EPA. But I personally follow their guidelines,because I'm the one with the luck of being the first one in Florida fined $27,500, and that's alot of vacation money,so I don't chance it.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

put your gauges on the unit, shutdown the supply (liquid line) turn on your unit and watch your gauges, when the pressure is below a couple of pounds. Close off the suction valve and shut down the power. cut it lose and take it away. Used A/C for 800 bucks doesn't sound like too good a deal. Be better off with a Goodman off Ebay, warranty may be the sh*ts but at least it would be a new unit. Good luck m8
    "Go big or Go Home"

LOL...

I'm not telling anybody that the epa is gonna catch them recovering a unit without their cert.

But, anybody telling someone they have section 609 cert, so they can recover a non mobil, doesn't know what their talking about.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tangledwebster
    [B]I am moving the whole unit from one neighboring city to the next.

********All I see is some future problems and he will need one of those high priced professionals to solve it. Maybe a couple of them. A new unit, properly installed, with an extended warranty, written off as a business expense, would cost how much more? Geez, I can't do the math, it is verboten here.

Y'all have my respect, and hats off to the working man...!
    By the way, this thing nees a spell check bad...

*********"Naw, that would take all the fun out of reading some posts":

Quote from a recent post:
    "I see that tranfer among the ambient air kitchen and outside air to close 90F and 95F What happen when for moment retainer? What happen with the disch-pressure? And what happen with the oil in the system?I Thing you have too much oil in one of the cap/tube. not too much too much but something oil, This biginning the problem,"

*********He may not say it like some professor would but I damn well bet he knows the ins and outs of a system better than most and could install or troubleshoot your system. He dun't need no stinking spell checker.

QUOTE]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12