Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pumpdown how to...?

I need to relocate my a/c and I've been told all I need to do is do a pumpdown to keep my refrigerant contained.

Is this true and if so how do I do this...?

Thanx,

tangledwebster

[Edited by tangledwebster on 06-28-2005 at 11:08 AM]

Call a contractor, This is not a DIY job.

Absolutely true. does yuor unit have service valves? Is it a scroll compressor? Is the disconnect nearby? do you have the equipment to evacuate the system? Do you have the means of re-charging the system to proper specs? If you answered no to any of these questions, call a pro. Proceeding with pump-down will only cost you more....
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

pay now or pay later either way it will cost you
    had a customer "disconnect" his own a/c to save a few bucks well needless to say he has a brand new unit now
    it will be a lot cheaper to get someone to move it than to buy a new a/c

go to HD and get a pumpdown machine from the rental section

You need to be EPA certified to do it.

Not a DIY project.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Yes, I can rent a vacuum pump and I have gages, it's a scroll, and I have access to the service disconnet etc.

This unit is a used one located an hours drive away. It would be impractical for my to pay labor to disconnect the unit and then pay again to connect. I can only seeing paying once, and in FLORIDA a/c service labor is averaging to several hundred dollars just to show up to the door and look at the thing.

I just want to relocate to my business since its about $800.00 and seems to be in good shape an running good.

How about this guys...?

What do you think I should do?

If I hire someone to dissconnect it, then what are they doing exactly and how much money is reasonable?

If I hire out someone to hook it up again, then what are they doing and what is a resonable price.

Thanx,

tangledwebster

what ever they charge you would be cheaper than the $20,000 dollar fine if you get caught. we have video cameras and we are watching. reward is easier money than working for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by tangledwebster

If I hire someone to dissconnect it, then what are they doing exactly and how much money is reasonable?

If I hire out someone to hook it up again, then what are they doing and what is a resonable price.

tangledwebster

A reasonable price would be the cost of having it installed correctly. Rule 3 when you signed up should explain it better:

Home Owners - no pricing questions please

Only people who actually see your job can price it. Also, this is a site to promote the learning of HVAC technical knowledge and as such, questions of the type "$5,000 for a XXX system, is this a good price?" do not fit in with the theme of the site. Home owners, do NOT post prices.

Posts of this type will be deleted.

tangledwebster:

For being a legal DIY you can get a EPA 609 license off the web for a few hours study and an open book test (you can't hire yourself out with that license) and you need to paint an old propane tank grey with an yellow top, etc. since you look like you got everything else or can rent it.
    To get past most the pros here, in the future pevaricate like Clinton did and phrase your questions differently, such as:

"the epa lic. tech I hired says he does not have to evacuate my system to move it, only to pump it down and evac the remainder so I don't loose as much R22. Is this right or should he just evac the freon and recharge, was told freon gets old with age" <G>

In your first post it sounds like you are just moving it a little but in your second post it sounds like your moving it to a different location. Are you moving the air handler too? Moving a complete system from one location to another would normally be more expensive than a new unit. Even if it is just next door.
    Where in Florida are you?

Originally posted by tangledwebster
    Yes, I can rent a vacuum pump and I have gages, it's a scroll, and I have access to the service disconnet etc.

This unit is a used one located an hours drive away. It would be impractical for my to pay labor to disconnect the unit and then pay again to connect. I can only seeing paying once, and in FLORIDA a/c service labor is averaging to several hundred dollars just to show up to the door and look at the thing.

I just want to relocate to my business since its about $800.00 and seems to be in good shape an running good.

How about this guys...?

What do you think I should do?

Thanx,

tangledwebster

Call around and get some quotes.

It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.

~Albert Camus

I am moving the whole unit from one neighboring city to the next.

The whole unit, air handler and compressor, should fit nicely in our trailer.

Yes, I have been told by one quote that the freon is too old and needs to be replaced by them, an EPA card carrying pro, at the tune of several hundred bucks.

Other EPA card carrying pro's say they can probably use the existing refrig' just fine after a good scrub with their equip.

My background is in military robotics. Gas theory, liquid dynamics, electrics/tronics, etc. is not a problem.

What is a problem is getting good solid service and a cost that is reasonable.

I find that an informed customer makes better decisions and is happier overall.

I am a professional by trade, own my business, and know all too well the turbulence that exists among a quasi-free market.

Y'all have my respect, and hats off to the working man...!

By the way, this thing nees a spell check bad...

Thanx,

tangledwebster

[Edited by tangledwebster on 06-29-2005 at 06:12 PM]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast