Hybrid View

I am looking into the cost of changing from a 10 seer to a 13 seer for budget concerns for the years ahead. I have 221 units on my apartment complex. What do I need to look at in order to change a unit from a 10 seer to a 13 seer? Condenser, coil, lines, pad..etc? What do you need to change out?

To start with I would suggest the entire refrigeration system (condenser, line set, and coil)
    If the wiring, whips and disconnects are in good shape they may be able to be reused, depends a lot on electrical requirements of new systems if the pads are large enough to accommodate the new units there is no reason they cannot be saved

to achieve 13 seer,you probably need to purchase a 13 seer system instead of trying to make one out of a 10 seer. Do the residents pay their own electric? They're also not known for properly maintaining a system, so be careful with this large expense. JMO
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

You might hold off a bit. Right now 13 SEER units are high buck premium units, not something you'd usually put in an apartment complex. By fall the mfrs should be rolling out their low priced builder 13 SEER units for 2006 and you'd save a bundle.

I dont want to replace the excisting units. I need to put together an estimate incase I need to replace a unit in 2006. So I need to know if their are any changes in size in the coil, line set,etc from a 10 seer to 13 seer that I would have to change out along with the condenser.

Outdoor units and indoor coils will be larger. Not sure if lines will change. Nobody really knows what prices will be in the future though.

You better go for the coil, line, and condensor. If this is for future use, you are likely to run into some r-22 vs. r-410 issues. This would increase the chance of having to replace all 3.

The only way to know if the lines need to be changed (assuming your staying with R22) is to look at the spec sheets, there is usually a table that tells you the line size required. Every brand is different. The previous poster makes a valid argument in that if you have to change the whole system now (next year) consider a 410A system becuase the next change will also require a whole system where if you do 410A now, you will not likely need to change out the entire system 10 or 12 years from now.

The new 13 SEER stuff will likely be priced around the same as todays 12 SEER systems for the basic builder model. The addition of pressure switches, sound blankets, and other features will probably take the units price up to where it is today on a standard 13 SEER. This of course is not taking into account any possible price increases due to material shortages. We experienced that over the past year or so and with each unit requiring more materials, there may be a hike in pricing by the material vendors (metal, aluminum, copper etc.)