Trane 15 SEER XR-vs-16 SEER XL

Greetings to all! First time posting on site. All things considered, I would like to know if there is a significant ($ to be exact) difference between the Trane 15XR vs 16XL. Is it worth the extra $$$ We live in northern Florida. Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-03-2011 at 08:14 AM. Reason: price difference

What tonnage? The 5 ton XR 15 is essentially the same as a 16i but all other sizes are single stage. XL 16 is a dual capcity system operating at roughly 70-100% depending on load. If you go 2 stage the XL20i is the best option Trane has. I tend to lean toward the XR15. Its a better bang for the bucK compared the 16. The only thing you really lose is a 12 yr. Compressor warranty on the XL and usually a fraction of a SEER point.

Dave, we are looking at a 4 ton system. I am also leaning toward the 15XR, UNLESS there is some compelling reason to pay the extra $$$ and go for the 16XL.

I vote XR15. Not a fan of the 16i. The low capacity on them can be as much as 80% of high so really not much diff between high & low. That's where the 20i shines. Also on the 16i, unless you are using a communicating system, which you can't do an a 16i heat pump, you lose dehumidify on demand. On those systems, the latent (humidity) capacity can be rather lacking.

Take the money you save buying the 15 and blow your attic with another foot. That will pay back quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBal View Post
    Greetings to all! First time posting on site. All things considered, I would like to know if there is a significant ($1245 to be exact) difference between the Trane 15XR vs 16XL. Is it worth the extra $$$ We live in northern Florida. Thank you for your help.
    Your salesman did not do a very good job of showing you the added value of a two stage cooling unit.This unit, if installed properly will increase the dehumidifcation by almost 50%. Sizing is critical, ask to see a load calculation. The XL16i and XL20i are worth the extra money. You need to focus on the quality of the contractor, pick the right company and then purchase the highest efficiency unit your budget will allow. Good luck from fast Eddie in Pittsburgh.

Yea, 80% SHR really dehumidifies

Baldloonie has it. The inherent latent capacity of XL16i systems is pretty well documented. There are certain tricks to improve that but i'm sure they arent mfg. approved. I agree with AbleAir(welcome) that proper sizing is crucial but the XR15 gets my vote. Curious if they plan on using the Trane Hyperion air handler. If they didn't i would check it out on Trane.com. Its a totally new design that has alot of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I vote XR15. Not a fan of the 16i. The low capacity on them can be as much as 80% of high so really not much diff between high & low. That's where the 20i shines. Also on the 16i, unless you are using a communicating system, which you can't do an a 16i heat pump, you lose dehumidify on demand. On those systems, the latent (humidity) capacity can be rather lacking.

Take the money you save buying the 15 and blow your attic with another foot. That will pay back quickly.
    I second this. I have the XR 15 in my home & love it. I too am nt a big fan of the XL 16 I unit to spend that much $ & no good humidity contol. If u spend that much $ might as well go with the XL 20. Know I did you think about the XL 15 if you like that look. Again the XR 15 is a good unit & can pull the same seer rating like the XL15. Just my 2 cents!

Trane 16 SEER XLi

Interesting comments on the SHR of the Trane 16Xli. Now I am concerned that I may have base-lined the wrong units for the house on the beach in NC in process of being built. Initial selection is 1.5 ton Trane 14 seer HP with variable air handler for 1st floor, 1.5/2 ton Trane 16xli HP with variable air handler for 2nd floor with an additional zone on the 2nd floor for bedroom; and Trane ERV hooked up to everything somehow. I am concerned about humidity control (house is very tight, closed-cell insulation design) and thought the 2-speed compressor operation would help. Contractor wasn't pushing it one way or the other and it seemed it might be the best choice as it was a higher seer rating than the single stage units and much less expensive than the SEER 20. Initial load calcs show 1.5 ton is about the right size for the 2nd floor and 1 ton for the 1st floor, based on the design and the contractors HVAC_Calc initial Manual J. Of course with these initial results and the fact that the 1st floor load did not seem to match up with any ducted equipment , I decided to do detailed independent engineering (J, S, D) which is in progress. If the manual J comes back in the 1.5 ton range would it make sense to go back to the 1.5 ton 15 SEER Xli and would that affect the plan for a 2nd zone with it? If that is the case it sounds like I may have to have them redo the Manual S and D?

If you need 1.5 ton I'd sure switch to the XR15 or XL15i and VS air handler. Get a Vision Pro IAQ with dehumidify on demand hooked up or if going straight cool, you can use a communicating control on a communicating air handler.

Trane Seer 15

Thanks, that's what I thought. Yes the vision pro looks like it's what I will need. Is there any material difference from a cost or performance perspective between the 15xli and the Trane's other 15 units?

Frown P I T A hiJacker here now !

Quote Originally Posted by trmac51 View Post
    Interesting comments on the SHR of the Trane 16Xli. Now I am concerned that I may have base-lined the wrong units for the house on the beach in NC in process of being built.

, I decided to do detailed independent engineering (J, S, D) which is in progress.
    HiJackerss are a real pain
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I just wanted to thank everyone for thier input. Luckily I am not in a super hurry to replace my existing system & can do some research. (Hopefully not toooo much research)