Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free estimates?

Wink

I just had to put my two cents in too.

Use your ability to reason.

Money paid does not assure quality from the seller anymore than the integrity of the buyer.

We live in a market society.

It all comes down to your ability to demand relative to the pool of supply out their.

I can't think of one thing these days that an honest effort doesn't need to be applied to in order to best judge ones decision.

For example, I doubt their are many that will bother to figure out what I'm talking about.

Originally posted by crash11
    Marauderx,

You are dealing with the cheapest, most arrogant people on earth on this site. Sure you may get a free estimate, but man the attitude you also get is embarassing. These contractors are larger than life (in their own mind), and as such they have no idea what it is like to be a real consumer. Their first priority is hvac which is why they charge $100-$150 an hour. Thus they think our #1 priority should also be whatever they think, but to most of us it's a very low priority subject. I just can't get over how full of themselves hvac techs are. Yeah, that's right, they are techs. You don't get this kind of treatment from electricians, plumbers, or even builders. I have a builder who puts his customers first, and makes suggestions based on my priorities. Did you see that, makes suggestions. He won't push his own agenda on me to make money. This is why I'm doing my own hvac work, and when it's all said and done, I will NEVER give these guys the satisfaction of knowing if I did it right or not. I gaurantee most of them are thinking "he'll screw it up for sure". Well you know what, if I screw up, I'll still have saved about $6,000 which I'll have to make fixes. I'd much rather fund a corporation that makes products than an arrogant contractor that provides a service. Sorry to have ranted right in the middle of your thread marauderx, but this is my advice: don't bother to try to get any information from these jerks. Just spend a couple weeks researching the subject and you'll probably be better off.
    Make sure everyone puts crash on their list.

When your A/C breaks on a 95 degree day or your furnace on a 10 degree morning, who you gonna call? I guess you can fix it yourself.
    "Football Season again finally"

"CRASH"

I admire your determination to be your own hvac installer and can't count the amount of times I have had to clean up behind someone like you. There is nothing like telling a customer that the whole system will have to be pulled out and redone in order to repair a botched job. I don't believe that most of the techs on here are arogant SOB's. We work in a complicated profession where nothing is really cut and dried. You mention plumbers and electricians for comparison purposes, well a 1/2" copper pipe is a 1/2" copper pipe and an electrical outlet is an electrical outlet. They don't have to deal with different conditions on every job the way we do. Do they worry about how much heat loss a home has? Do they have to calculate the cfm requirments and the ability of the ductwork to handle it? Do they have to check charges or look for line restrictions? I sorry but the hvac trade is a very technical trade and training and experience are a requirment.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Comments inserted in original post

Marauderx,

You are dealing with the cheapest, most arrogant people on earth on this site.
    .....Actually there are some highly intelligent people here, but you are the type who never shuts their mouth to realize when they are around them and could learn something.

Sure you may get a free estimate, but man the attitude you also get is embarassing.
    ....Maybe the attitude comes from dealing with cheap people like you who won't pay for an estimate, and just use us for our knowledge.

These contractors are larger than life (in their own mind), and as such they have no idea what it is like to be a real consumer.
    ....So you are saying we are suppose to work for FREE since YOU are so cheap.

Their first priority is hvac which is why they charge $100-$150 an hour.
    ....You obviously have no understanding of what it takes to run a business.

Thus they think our #1 priority should also be whatever they think, but to most of us it's a very low priority subject.
    ....You idiot, you would be the one calling us with the question to see what we think, not the other way around.

I just can't get over how full of themselves hvac techs are. Yeah, that's right, they are techs.
    ....Guess what, when you install your OWN system, I guess you will become a low life tech as you are refering to us too. You wouldn't qualify to sweep my shop floor.

You don't get this kind of treatment from electricians, plumbers, or even builders.
    ....Newsflash idiot, we ARE electricians, plumbers, and carpentors. This is the only trade that has to be knowledgeable in all the trades to perform our work.

I have a builder who puts his customers first, and makes suggestions based on my priorities. Did you see that, makes suggestions. He won't push his own agenda on me to make money.
    ....You are not a customer. You would be a pain in the neck who I would never sign a contract with.

This is why I'm doing my own hvac work, and when it's all said and done, I will NEVER give these guys the satisfaction of knowing if I did it right or not.
    ....You won't have to tell us, we already know it will be wrong.

I gaurantee most of them are thinking "he'll screw it up for sure". Well you know what, if I screw up, I'll still have saved about $6,000 which I'll have to make fixes.
    ....Will your $6,000 build you a new house when it is full of MOLD. Only an idiot like you would risk their own health, their wifes health, and their childrens health to save a few bucks.

I'd much rather fund a corporation that makes products than an arrogant contractor that provides a service.
    ....Funny thing is, people like you do not have the BALLS to tell a service provider this to their face or before they provide a SERVICE to you.

Sorry to have ranted right in the middle of your thread marauderx,
    ....Thanks for the entertainment. We always get a good laugh out of watching people make fools out of them self.

but this is my advice: don't bother to try to get any information from these jerks.
    ....After showing your IQ level, I do not imagine anyone here would place to much VALUE in your advice.

Just spend a couple weeks researching the subject and you'll probably be better off.
    ....After you put in your back alley aborted system, you will realize it takes more than a few weeks to learn this trade.
    You are the type who will run back to your builder when you have problems and try to some how blame him even though he had no part in your system installation or design.

Since you are so knowledgeable and think $150.00 is to much to pay a service provider, why don't you come back and educate all of us by giving us a breakdown on overhead in an HVAC comapny, and how much we should be charging. My vote says you don't have the BALLS to perform this.

I'm asking on a HO's behalf, as I truly didn't know whether getting a free estimate would be something a lot of places did. Sure enough, the Trane rep hanging out at Home Depot was advertising free estimates, as were Sears and a few others, probably to compete with one another. An estimate on their system for free? How could a HO refuse? Right now we'll probably get a free estimate from one of them to get an idea on how much it will cost. Then the HO will make a decision to get it done, and we'll make a few calls to compare apple to apples and not drag someone out to the house for no money. I'm sure we'll get a fair deal, but we aren't looking to get screwed by a big name installer just because they said we need to replace everything upstream from the vents.

Thanks for the answers and opinions on free estimates so far; it looks like a hot topic, so feel free to keep going.

if you read crashes other posts it will show you just how big of an idiot he really is

he dosnt want to spend any money but wants a new house built

like he wont spend 6 grand on insulation and he dosnt want to pay for hvac work

hey crash there are alot of people who cant afford to build a house the right way so we either rent, or BUY A HOUSE WE CAN AFFORD

people like you are the reason bc1 should charge for advise then none of us would have to listen to you whine

Hey Crash,

Are you the same chump that got pissed when his thread was edited because he broke forum rules? Or are you a different chump?

People who put real craftsmanship in their work and go to great lengths to stay at the top of their game tend to be a little arrogant now and again. And of course the anonymity of an online forum tends to exaggerate a person's qualities. So get over it. HVAC is no worse than any other trade. And of course they're ALL bad IMO. The idea that HVAC is full of pompous jerks while the rest of the trades are full of humble professionals is moronic on the face of it.

Their first priority is hvac which is why they charge $100-$150 an hour. Thus they think our #1 priority should also be whatever they think,...
    I wish most tradespeople would have their first priority be their work. Maybe things are better up north, but finding good workers in damn close to impossible in Florida.

but to most of us it's a very low priority subject.
    Yeah, until it breaks.... then it becomes critical. There's also a huge difference between HVAC done well (comfortable, quiet, efficient) and the way it's most usually done. For the latter, I'd mostly blame the architects and builders, 'though some of the HVAC contractors deserve the blame on this part as well.

I just can't get over how full of themselves hvac techs are. Yeah, that's right, they are techs. You don't get this kind of treatment from electricians, plumbers, or even builders.
    If a guy is full of himself and goes excellent work, I'm more than happy to live with the attitude. Unfortunately, I often see the attitude without the performance, especially in the other building trades. I went through 4 crews of sparkies before I found a crew of electricians who understood how to read blueprints and FOLLOW them, regardless of how overbuilt & unnecessary the specs may be. If it says use #12 wire, then that's what better be in that conduit, not #16 "b/c you've always used #16 on your other jobs".

I have a builder who puts his customers first, and makes suggestions based on my priorities. Did you see that, makes suggestions. He won't push his own agenda on me to make money.
    Is the house built yet? If so, you've found the one in a million that's actually worth something. Most of the builders could care less, and this applies to all levels of construction. I've seen poorly built shacks and poorly built mansions. If it's not built yet, please post your experiences after the house has been built, roof's leaking, windows leaking, cracks appearing in walls & floors, and the builder keeps promising to fix it but never delivers.

This is why I'm doing my own hvac work, and when it's all said and done, I will NEVER give these guys the satisfaction of knowing if I did it right or not.
    Just curious... what do you mean by "doing my own hvac work"? ductwork? installation of the equipment? both? Maybe I've gotten old, but I sure as hell don't want to wrestle HVAC equipment into place, especially one of the higher SEER condensing units. I also have no desire to be in a hot attic or on a hot roof brazing away or troubleshooting the system. My time is money and at this level, I can't afford to waste it on stuff like that... I'll gladly pay one of the pros to do it right.

I gaurantee most of them are thinking "he'll screw it up for sure". Well you know what, if I screw up, I'll still have saved about $6,000 which I'll have to make fixes.
    Well, start saving those pennies up... it'll cost more than $6k to fix a fire or gas explosion, and most insurance cos will look for any excuse not to pay up -- an unlicensed homeowner doing an HVAC install would be more than enough reason for them to deny a claim.

...but this is my advice: don't bother to try to get any information from these jerks. Just spend a couple weeks researching the subject and you'll probably be better off.
    There's plenty here to be learned... If you think the attitudes in here are bad, you've never had to deal with doctors, lawyers, politicians, or celebrities. At least most of the techs in this forum can walk the walk in addition to the talk.

FWIW, I'm not a tech, not even in the HVAC business. However, HVAC is integral to my work, so I've learned about it to do my job better. Because of this, I know my limits & would much rather pick up the phone & call a pro than jeopardize the operations of a client if I have any doubts about my abilities. Much of it comes down to cost for me. Trying to track down the necessary equipment to do an HVAC job right isn't cheap and my clients would much rather pay the HVAC contractor rates than mine.

[Edited by tpa-fl on 06-30-2005 at 11:46 AM]

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by marauderx
    I'm asking on a HO's behalf, as I truly didn't know whether getting a free estimate would be something a lot of places did. Sure enough, the Trane rep hanging out at Home Depot was advertising free estimates, as were Sears and a few others, probably to compete with one another. An estimate on their system for free? How could a HO refuse? Right now we'll probably get a free estimate from one of them to get an idea on how much it will cost. Then the HO will make a decision to get it done, and we'll make a few calls to compare apple to apples and not drag someone out to the house for no money. I'm sure we'll get a fair deal, but we aren't looking to get screwed by a big name installer just because they said we need to replace everything upstream from the vents.

Thanks for the answers and opinions on free estimates so far; it looks like a hot topic, so feel free to keep going.

But are you going to post her picture??

Home depot and sears are likely the highest prices you'll get,try Cropp-Metcalf,I think they are in that area.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tangledwebster
    [B]I just had to put my two cents in too.

Use your ability to reason.

Money paid does not assure quality from the seller anymore than the integrity of the buyer.

We live in a market society.

It all comes down to your ability to demand relative to the pool of supply out their.

I can't think of one thing these days that an honest effort doesn't need to be applied to in order to best judge ones decision.

For example, I doubt their are many that will bother to figure out what I'm talking about.

I agree that some effort must be put forward but I think a good approach is offering free estimates (and remember that an estimate is just that....an estimate) and charge a nominal fee for load calcs.

Your post shows wisdom but your use of the word 'their' as opposed to proper usage of 'there' in two sentences has me wondering where these words of wisdom originated.

We give free estimates on installs and do a load calculations also for free only if the contract is approved. Also, We work in the Northern Virginia. If interested give me a call at 571-437-9800 or 703-499-7036

Wink

their vs. there

oops...!

nice catch chillbilly...!

this thing really needs a spell check...

-tangledwebster

I have to agree with dan !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast