Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saver Switch

Just was wonder what you guys think of the A/C power saver switch?

It came with the house, and never dealt with this in the past.. We got the house last fall, so I never had a chance to see how well it works.

The last week been fairly warm, and the last 2 days been pretty humid.. so the power company was cycyling this alot. The humidity stayed in the 50% range when it was cycle on the switch..

Today for kicks I bypassed the switch all day.. The house came down to about 38 to 41% humdity.

It was 90 out w/ dew point of 72, it really felt cold in here at 76, bumped it up to 78..

I think I may call the power company to have them take the switch off the house.

I don't htink it's worth them paying me $3 a month for this, and not get my comfort. I also think it's harder on the compressor to cycle on and off that often.. I haven't really timed it.. It seems like it runs for 15 min, off for 10, and again.... from about 10 am to 10 pm.

I also wonder how much I am really saving other than $3 a month they give me???

Thumbs down Power Switch

Originally posted by mayguy

I think I may call the power company to have them take the switch off the house.

You maybe losing !

I may think about it if the power company were only able to turn off power for one 64-minute period per day.
    Of course, they would have to give me a minimum $64 rebate EACH month for 4 months.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Call them and have it removed. Your compromise in comfort is not worth the savings!

Thumbs down remove

have it removed. i bypass 20-30 of them every summer. i get a call for no cooling. get there & find i have no l.v. @ cond. unit - before going to the air handler to check for voltage, i always look for the TECO'S little box at the meter can. homeowners usually forget they even had it. i ask them if it is worth the $5 they are saving? everyone one of them has said hell no & ask me if i can remove it. i like to tease them a bit and tell'em you have to call TECO to remove it and you know how long it takes the power company to get to your house. i only let them suffer for a few secs! i tell them i can bypass it no problem. i also inform them they can do the honest & call TECO & let them know it's been bypassed and to remove them from the program, but they have no way of knowing if you happen to forget to call them. i let them chose.

Originally posted by mayguy

It came with the house, and never dealt with this in the past.. We got the house last fall, so I never had a chance to see how well it works.

The last week been fairly warm, and the last 2 days been pretty humid.. so the power company was cycyling this alot. The humidity stayed in the 50% range when it was cycle on the switch..

Today for kicks I bypassed the switch all day.. The house came down to about 38 to 41% humdity.

It was 90 out w/ dew point of 72, it really felt cold in here at 76, bumped it up to 78..

Just curious. Last thurs/fri we had temps in the mid 90's with high humidity. Was your a/c on in the morning? Or did you wait till midday to turn it on?

I don't like those damn saver switches for many reasons but I think those that cool their house in the morning and have low humidity are not affected by the cycling that the ss does. Once the outdoor unit is off the furnace blower still runs and the coil will still remove some humidity but then it will be dry until the ss turns the compressor on again. Don't you get 15% off your bill for the summer months?

Thermal Storage

I have not heard of those "saver" switches before (i.e. homeowner) but at one time worked for a company that sold thermal storage units. Basically you heat water at night during low peak demand times and power company would give you a special rate. Only A/C option was ice storage which had problems. Just wondering if there have been any new "Peak Shaving" type technologies for A/C where you use the power to cool in low demand times (night) but not run in high demand times (noon)? Thanks,

Just curious. Last thurs/fri we had temps in the mid 90's with high humidity. Was your a/c on in the morning? Or did you wait till midday to turn it on?
    It will start going in the morning a few cycles, then in the aftermoon it will run more steady as the day goes on.

Don't you get 15% off your bill for the summer months?
    No, Just get $3 off a month.. I looked back the last couple of Billings, and been a fixed $3.. I also asked a friend, and same for him.

I saw that last night on Xcel's web sight they they offer 15% off.. Guess our power company, RPU (Rochester Public Utility) is being cheap.;

I just called them and asked if they had a diffrent "Package Deal", she said just the water heater. And only give $3 off.. I told them to stop the service for us.

could someone explain exactly what a saver thingy is? neva heard of it here in ohio

Re: Thermal Storage

Originally posted by czechkate
    I have not heard of those "saver" switches before (i.e. homeowner) but at one time worked for a company that sold thermal storage units. Basically you heat water at night during low peak demand times and power company would give you a special rate. Only A/C option was ice storage which had problems. Just wondering if there have been any new "Peak Shaving" type technologies for A/C where you use the power to cool in low demand times (night) but not run in high demand times (noon)? Thanks,
    I read about some for commercial.

But it was awhile ago, so I don't remmeber what mag it was.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

i use to service those switches for power plus here in jersey. they do not save you anything they are so when there is a power demand thhey can turn you off and cycle you so the power thhe electric co saves can go somewhere esle. the program is very misleading. you are told you will save on electric and they will also give you another 3 dollars a month on top of you savings. this is not true.
    the power co. saves and sells it somewhere else
    this is why i do not service them anymore. if they were to tell the truth well maybe i would think differantly.

MrHVAC,

could someone explain exactly what a saver thingy is? neva heard of it here in ohio
    This is what is said on RPU web site.

After installing a remote-controlled switch near your air-conditioner or water heater, RPU will cycle operation during peak energy periods by sending a signal from a computer at the RPU Service Center. When the switch receives the signal, it cycles your A/C compressor and/or electric water heater elements for set periods of time. These cycle times can occur between 10:00 am and 9:00 pm on peak energy days and between 1 and 22 times a day,

The best part of BUSINESS PARTNERS is most customers don't even realize that their A/C compressor or water heater is being cycled off! Most water heaters can provide hot water for up to four hours of moderate use after the power has been turned off, and the fan on your A/C will continue to operate, blowing already cooled air through your building.

And this is from Xcel website.

In addition to what you'll save on your electricity bill, Saver's Switch will take an additional 15% off your electric energy charges from June through September just for participating. Saver’s Switch is a free energy conservation product brought to you by BudgetSmart from Xcel EnergySM that helps:

Preserve natural resources for future generations
    Keep electricity available to all communities during periods with very high demand for electricity
    Keep electricity rates low and affordable

Saver’s Switch is simple. Hot summer days mean more air conditioning, which pushes demand for electricity to a peak. By participating in Saver's Switch, you'll help us manage these peaks by cutting back just a little on the time your central air cools your home. Your effort to conserve energy helps us provide reliable electricity and preserve natural resources.

You’ll stay cool and comfortable. On hot summer days -10 to 15 days at most each year - Xcel Energy may activate Saver’s Switch. This cycles your air conditioner’s condenser on and off at 15-minute intervals. However, the fan that circulates conditioned air stays on, circulating already-cooled air throughout your home. You won’t even notice Saver’s Switch is on.

An independent test of 40 homes showed an average increase of only one to two degrees Fahrenheit during activation. In addition, Xcel Energy activates Saver’s Switch during the late afternoon and early evening—a time you’re likely to be outdoors, or not at home.

For participating, you'll receive a 15% discount on your electric energy charges on bills issued June through September. You can save an additional 2% all year if you enroll your electric water heater at the same time. The Saver's Switch will shut off the water heater usually for a six-hour period on hot summer days or cold winter afternoons. You must be home for installation.

Hope this helps?

15 minute interval? gee, thats great for the comp!

BGE give me $10 off per month during the summer for my switch. That's $10 off my $77 electric portion of the bill. I would not do this for $3/month.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast