+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phosgene Gas

Post Likes
    You gotta take care of yourself if your in a mech room if your on a roof try to stand upwind. if you feel quizzy drink some milk. But it's a hazard of our job if you don't like it go back to school and learn to push paper across a desk.

Post Likes
    Like alot of the guys said, take the time to get all of the gas out. Seems like there was something in referigerant cert. test that said to watch gauges after evacuation to make sure vacuum does'nt come up. Take the extra time to evacuate properly, you're getting paid for it and if the boss does'nt understand that, you need a new one. I found working on smaller equip. that if you wrap a tank heater blanket around compressor it makes refrigerant come out of oil a lot better.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I have attached two articles that are contained in one folder about phosgene gas. The long and short of the articles are that it very doubtful that phosgene gas is form from burning refrigerant. The articles says it this way highly unlikely.
    There is another way that you can be sure that it was not phosgene gas you were smelling, you are living to read and write about it. Proper personal protective equipment for working around phosgene gas is a air line powered hood.
    I have smelled that nose and throat burning odor produced when a torch flame burns some refrigerant, it is nasty but not phosgene.
    Let the flames begin.
    Allen
    I agree. It's all part of our urban legend.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Hey guys quiick question about this I evac the system to braze, had to leave another tec came along used r22 to check for leaks not knowingly I came back to braze and inhaled some poshgene just an hour ago not really sure what to do walk it off or seek some attention

Post Likes

Phosgene exposure

Quote Originally Posted by Hvacdougie View Post
    Hey guys quiick question about this I evac the system to braze, had to leave another tec came along used r22 to check for leaks not knowingly I came back to braze and inhaled some poshgene just an hour ago not really sure what to do walk it off or seek some attention
    HVACDougie:

From my experience, you will feel ' heavy chested ' for 24 hours or so, and the symptoms will go away.
    If you have trouble catching your breath, coughing up, shortness of breath, etc., by all means, seek medical attention. Also, report it to your first aid personnell, or, in the very least, in writing to your supervisor. That way, if there are problems down the road, there is a paper trail.

Good luck - - - - -

Freonguy
    Superheat and subcooling tell it all !

Post Likes
    another technique is to hold your breath, stay away from the wave which usually goes straight up, come up for breath then repeat. Other than that a good nitrogen purge sounds real good.

Post Likes
    It is more likely HCL that Phosgene. Phosgene is carbonal chloride COCl2 and is formed from the reaction of carbon monixide with the chlorine. Wet chlorine gas (HCl) can cause chemical phnemonia.

Post Likes
    One tip I've found that helps to prevent residue gases burning off while brazing is leave your vacuum pump running on the system but just valved open enough to have a little negative pressure preventing refrigerant from burning off in your face. Also is good idea to have a nitrogen bleeding into the system at the same time closet to where your brazing and leave purging through while welding. This is not always possible if your working on a smaller system, but I do like the suggestion of using a shop vac to pull the fumes away as well as I suggest maybe a small fan to bring in fresh air pointed at your face. Hope this helps.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dixie2005 View Post
    I find that I'm often exposed to phosgene gas when welding. There's usually residual gas in pipes when I'm servicing equipment that produces phosgene when heated. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me to help deal with this unpleasant and potentially harmful event? Do any of you guys use a mask?

Thanks!
    One tip I've found that helps to prevent residue gases burning off while brazing is leave your vacuum pump running on the system but just valved open enough to have a little negative pressure preventing refrigerant from burning off in your face. Also is good idea to have a nitrogen bleeding into the system at the same time closet to where your brazing and leave purging through while welding. This is not always possible if your working on a smaller system, but I do like the suggestion of using a shop vac to pull the fumes away as well as I suggest maybe a small fan to bring in fresh air pointed at your face. Hope this helps.

Post Likes
    I've been a refrigeration mechanic for nearly 20 years. I have inhaled phosgene gas many more times than I care for. Even with thorough recovery practices. My question is: Has anybody ever heard of an HVAC-R tech losing their sense of smell due to phosgene gas inhalation. I've recently lost that sense and it has put a big damper on my career.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter DM View Post
    I've been a refrigeration mechanic for nearly 20 years. I have inhaled phosgene gas many more times than I care for. Even with thorough recovery practices. My question is: Has anybody ever heard of an HVAC-R tech losing their sense of smell due to phosgene gas inhalation. I've recently lost that sense and it has put a big damper on my career.

go see a doctor and have it checked out, my father lost his many years ago and later found out it was a very early symptom of Parkinson disease.

Post Likes
    Thanks t527ed. I will do that. I used to use a halide leak detector a lot way back when, and now wonder if that is a possible cause.

Post Likes
    I work on allot of older bulk milk tanks that are r12, when converting over, farmers ask, "why is this taking so long" I tell them nothing about refrigeration is cheap, nothing I can do to speed up the double recovery, then pull a vacuum with pump outside. Protect yourself, the govt won't do it for you

Post Likes
    I always use a mask.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in