Thread: Window Tint Inserts

Post Likes
    Does anyone make Tinted window _inserts_ that can be installed and removed as needed ?

I have new double-pane windows, and the insides are perfectly flat with no interference from the grids (they are between the glass of course).

I tried using tha that Gila Heat-Block film. My god what a nightmare this stuff is. Making matters worse is I have a couple of Golden Retrievers, and even if I did get the stuff in, it would inevitably get dog hair trapped between the film and glass during install.

Yes, I shut down the fans and hvac, and vaccumed a few hours before attempts.

After wasting an entire 18 foot rool trhing to do one pane of one window right, I gave up and took the rest back. At $40 a roll, I wasn't gonna keep going.

I think the stuff is a racket myself LOL

So, it would make sense to me that someone could make 1/8" or 1/16" thick treated plexi or other plastic that one could just slip into place in the summer. There's nothing to stop it from fiting right in the frame of each Window half.

Does such a thing exist, or did I just give away a patent to someone

-Larry

Post Likes
    sounds like you just found a way to become a millionare

Post Likes
    Have you looked into solar screens??? Much better solution, IMO....

Post Likes
    I recently priced DIY solar screens at Home Depot. The price was good and building the screens to fit looked pretty straighg foreward. I like the look of them as they cover the entire window.

Post Likes
    That's exactly what I did.....saved over 50% by making them myself via Home Depot.....worth every penny!!! I don't understand why someone would chose tint over the screens?? Any opinions??

Post Likes

Window films

Window films should be applied to the exterior glass surface of double pane windows. By putting them on the inside surface you can overheat your glass as the tint absorbs solar load and heats the inner pane of glass and the airspace. It's OK to put the peel'n'stick tint films on the inside surface of single pane glass because you don't have the air space to deal with. Yes, they need to be washed carefully when the tint film is on the exterior, no different than when the film is on the interior pane anyway.

Solar control starts when the architect puts pencil to paper- exterior shades, glass selections, etc. Dollars spent on better glass and solar control= smaller HVAC system and lower on-going energy costs.

Post Likes
    I think it depends on where your home is. We had a professional install the 3M sSotchguard film on our home, because it is in a coastal area where hurricanes blow through occassionally. Besides the heat rejection and fade prevention, a huge benefit of the scotchguard film is that it is also hurricane-resistant and can take impacts up to 150 mph. With the Scotchguard film, we don't have to worry about boarding up the house in a hurricane warning situation. If we weren't in a coastal environement, we'd probably just have installed solar screens ourselves.

Post Likes
    I SURE would NOT bet MY life on some window film!

Have you not seen 2x4 driven thru brick walls? do you REALLY think that a piece of 0.003" thick film will stop a flying board -- it might stop an insect, maybe even a humming bird --

Post Likes

Re: Window films

That's a damn fine point about the heat buildup. I never thought of that...

-Larry

Originally posted by gmcd
    Window films should be applied to the exterior glass surface of double pane windows. By putting them on the inside surface you can overheat your glass as the tint absorbs solar load and heats the inner pane of glass and the airspace. It's OK to put the peel'n'stick tint films on the inside surface of single pane glass because you don't have the air space to deal with. Yes, they need to be washed carefully when the tint film is on the exterior, no different than when the film is on the interior pane anyway.

Solar control starts when the architect puts pencil to paper- exterior shades, glass selections, etc. Dollars spent on better glass and solar control= smaller HVAC system and lower on-going energy costs.

Post Likes
    I'm going to look into this right after I'm done here.

Thanks!

-Larry

Originally posted by robnjr
    Have you looked into solar screens??? Much better solution, IMO....

Post Likes
    techlarry, gmcd made my point
    I work as a building operator and one of the buildings has the 3m installed on the inside. We replaced alot of windows, especially on the west side. it takes the highest sunload then the sun sets quick and there goes the window.

oour window company told us the problem was the tint.

3m guarantees for 1 year, he said it takes a couple for the windows to go

Post Likes
    cem-bsee,

I didn't say I was betting my life on anything. Simply that the film offers hurricane protection. Anyone with common sense evacuates during a hurricane. Good grief...

Post Likes
    I live in Texas and will be installing the solar screens this weekend. I just think they look much nicer and, like Robinjr, I don't understand why someone would prefer tint over screens. I orriginally thought about the window tint, but the heat build-up problem is something I had heard of before so that disuaded me. There is tint that can be aplied to the outside but, like Techlarry,I too prefer something that can be easily removed, like for the winter months.

I understand the concept of tint helping (to a degree)in a huricane (or tornado). It is sorta like the safety glass in the windshield of your car. It will break and even blow out, but will reduce the shards of glass flying around the home. Wouldn't want to be there though.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by chrisva
    I think it depends on where your home is. We had a professional install the 3M sSotchguard film on our home, because it is in a coastal area where hurricanes blow through occassionally. Besides the heat rejection and fade prevention, a huge benefit of the scotchguard film is that it is also hurricane-resistant and can take impacts up to 150 mph. With the Scotchguard film, we don't have to worry about boarding up the house in a hurricane warning situation. If we weren't in a coastal environement, we'd probably just have installed solar screens ourselves.
    Is that because the screens would be blown off, and the film not? Or the film offers some broken glass shard protection? As cem-base pointed out, that's about it!!!!

We get some pretty good winds and storms here in Tornado Alley, Texas, and the screens have never been a problem (my home weather station has clocked winds over 70 mph...pretty close to mild hurricane status if I recall).....of course I don't expect much to be left of the screens (or the house) if a Twister hits.....I guess its more all or nothing with a tornado vs hurricane......

Operator:

3M only guarantess for one year? That alone would make me chose screens. I made mine about 7 years ago, and they're still going strong. The frames are a little faded, but last year I compared a piece of leftover screen-scrap, and it was hard to tell the difference.

[Edited by robnjr on 06-28-2005 at 12:18 PM]

Post Likes

Talking

hurricane-resistant and can take impacts up to 150 mph. With the Scotchguard film, we don't have to worry about boarding up the house in a hurricane warning situation.

yea the film can withstand a 150 mph impact

I'm taking bets here folks! My money says the hurricane beats that film every time

Please post again after the next storm and let us know how that film held up. Oh BTW- the glass cannot take a 150 mph impact---it will break and the film will tear. Try hitting it with a 10 mph hammer!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by ct2
    Oh BTW- the glass cannot take a 150 mph impact---it will break and the film will tear. Try hitting it with a 10 mph hammer!
    close ct2, the window will shatter yes, but the film wont tear.

the whole window may come down in one piece but not like shrapnel

Post Likes
    I went to Home Depot's web site and could not find anything like this. Does it go by some other name?

-Larry

Originally posted by Chilled out
    I recently priced DIY solar screens at Home Depot. The price was good and building the screens to fit looked pretty straighg foreward. I like the look of them as they cover the entire window.

Post Likes
    The solar screens are the way to go- I had a pro put them on and they work incredible. I was mad at myself for not doing it earlier.

The added benefit was that instead of having my blinds closed all the time, I could leave them open 24/7 and not have to open and close them all day depending on where the sun was. They block so much heat that the blinds don't make any difference. You still need them at night for lights-on privacy, though.

Another benefit is since they are outside, they keep the heat off of your windows (unlike tint) and window frame, reducing heat infiltration even more. If you have wood windows this can extend their life.

Try one window from a pair of windows that are in the sun. Put your hand in the sunlight from the non SS window and then move it to the SS window. You will feel the difference immediately.

It wouldn't suprise me if some locales in the hot areas (AZ, FL) start making them CODE!

Home depot sells the parts you need- frame, screen, spline, etc... If you have arched windows or lites, you will need a pro. Home depot carries Phifer SolaScreen.

[Edited by old yeller on 06-28-2005 at 02:36 PM]

Post Likes
    Hmmm, I didn't see the screens either, just the frame materials. They were there last time I was in that section of my local store, but its been a while. I would just call your local Home Depot, as the website isn't always accurate or complete.

RN

Post Likes
    Originally posted by old yeller
    The solar screens are the way to go- I had a pro put them on and they work incredible. I was mad at myself for not doing it earlier.

Exactly how I felt.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in