I read an earlier very long discussion regarding changing out just the outdoor unit if the indoor unit is not over 10 years or so and is still in good working order. I don't want to bring up the debate again but I have a few questions. I have a 1 year Home owners warranty and if my outdoor unit fails I'm would expect that the warranty company will only want to replace it. My unit is an 8 year old Goodman.

Being that it would be replaced by the warranty company is there any warranty granted by Goodman for at least the newly replaced part and if so would not changing out the inside unit void the warranty.

The outdoor unit is making a lot of racket and it seems that it may be on it's last leg. I would love to be able to convince the warranty co that both units should be replaced together.

Is there a justification for replacing both units that may help to sway the warranty company?

Thanks

Rob

Originally posted by robertc65
    Is there a justification for replacing both units that may help to sway the warranty company?
    The short answer is no. Home warranty companies only care about one thing...cost.

Like was stated,they care about cost. At least try to convince them to match up the indoor coil. With a new indoor coil, the condenser should be under it's own warranty,and Goodman has a pretty good warranty itself,even if you drop that home warranty. Someone like Robotech will know more on the peticulars.....
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Depending on your situation, let them pay you for the condensor at whatever their allowance is.

Then take the money and use it towards a new system.

Then thank your lucky stars you didn't have to pay for all of it.

You will be REALLY lucky to get a new anything out of the deal. They will go so low as to put used parts in your system just to keep it running.

Of course just making alot of racket doesnt mean its on its last leg and it shouldnt be after only 8 years. A bent fan blade can cause that and you will be hard pressed to convince a home warranty company to replace it when all thats wrong is a few lose screws or a bent blade. I think your jumping the gun. Remember, the warranty is to protect you in a catastrophic failure, or pay for repairs, just becuase you think its noisy will probably not get much reaction.

replace both they should no better they just want the new condenser to outwork the old indoor coil so it will fail and then they can get more $$