Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I know they are part of the same parent company, but each brand has a Web site and the model(s) I'm looking at have different model numbers. I'm going to call the company and ask but thought I could get a quicker answer here. I am changing out a 3 ton package unit. The Trane Model is TCH036 and the Amer Std is something different (until you click on the specs and its listed as TCH036). The reason I ask is because I am getting quotes all over the map. I understand the big difference b/twn a solo practitioner and the companies with the fleets of sales/service people. But two of these fleet companies quote a $900 difference in price for the job. One identifies the unit going in as Am Std and the other Trane. I realize they probably used to have different distributors/dealers before they merged, but I wonder whether I am getting the exact same parts on each model. Since I understand that Trane actually manufactures compressors, I'd go with them. But does that mean I can pick the Amer Std brand (with the $900 cheaper price)and get the same goods? Regards. SE FL Customer

Got it backwards

Trane calls theirs the XR12 (4TTR2036A) and AS is the TCH036. And I notice that the wtys are different. Trane offers 10 yr compressor wty and AS only 5 yr on the comp.

Lightbulb Answered my own question!

Very helpful techie from Trane explained to me I was comparing Apples and Oranges. Once I got the correct Trane model no. I see the wtys are the same. He was straightforward about the contents under the boxes. And advised that in South FL, Trane deals only with authorized dealers whereas AmStd sells to indep contrs, who cannot get training from Trane. Very interesting. What a competitive business HVAC is, down South here where it's hot! I feel good I learned something today!

The A-S version of the 4TTR2036A is a 4A7A2036 and has same warranty as Trane. Only cabinet cosmetics is the difference. That's a split cooling unit. Packaged units are identical between the 2 brands and use the same model #s.

The info you were given about the differences is horsehockey, along the same lines as bull#$#$. Both are sold by independent suppliers with their own policies about who they sell to. We A-S dealers have the same training availability as the Trane dealers.

Smile

What is the Trane equivalent of the A/S Allegiance® 14 / Heritage® 14 series?

[Edited by travisfl on 06-27-2005 at 04:25 PM]

The XL14i would be the Trane equivalent to the Allegiance & Heritage 14. Has the funky top but otherwise, identical besides that.

Interesting....do you know why the XL14i is so much taller (40" instead of 33") -- is that all because of the funky top?

I could see that top as adding 7" to the XLi unit.

Must have some duct work in it <grin>.

Tranes XL line of equipment have a different fan motor/blade system and the different top. I believe the Trane XL units have lower sound ratings than the "equivelant" AS units.

I changed out a murdered compressor in the AS version of the Trane XR12 heat pump recently. Other than the color of the side panels and the direction of the louvers, I couldn't see any difference.

The difference that matters most to me was that our local AS distributor SUCKS, so it took nearly a week to get a warranty compressor. If not for the warranty, I could have picked up a compressor at any one of the 3 Trane locations, they all had it in stock...
    In my area at least, Trane has factory owned distribution, and there is a regonal distribution point and 2 fully stocked local distribution points within a 30 minute drive of me. We also have outstanding dealer and technical support for Trane products here.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Looked at the 3 ton 14 SEER, different blade, same motor. I guess when you slam a couple thou CFM against the top instead of freely out, you need more get up and go?

SRN on A-S 14 3 ton R22 is 7.4, R410a is 7.5 bels. What's the Choo Choo version rated at?

I have no trouble getting warranty parts from our A-S supplier. Can do warranties online with dealernet and get credit in a week. Guess it just depends on the distributor.

Heard a 4TWX4030 last week. High SEER rare around here. Whole cabinet shaking due to comp mounted on the plastic base. NOISY! Don't have that with metal pans.

Noise was likely because the armaflex had slid from under the suction and/or liquid line as they go between the coil and plastic pan. Makes on heck of a noise!

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    SRN on A-S 14 3 ton R22 is 7.4, R410a is 7.5 bels. What's the Choo Choo version rated at?
    4TTX36 (R410A) is 7.4 (ARI standard 270). You'd have to have discriminating ears to hear the difference. So much for the 'quiet top'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast