Thread: Having TXV's Installed...

Post Likes
    I am having TXV's installed on my two AC units tomorrow. Would it be standard practice to have the Filter Dryers replaced when they are doing this kind of work?

Both units/systems are brand new, and have only been up and running for about 2 months (don't know if that would be a factor in replace/reuses of Filter Dryers).

Just want to know so I can make sure it is done right.

Thanks..

Post Likes
    Yes, any time the system is opened for service or repairs the filter/dryers are replaced. Also make sure they pull a vacuum on the lineset and use a micron gauge.

Post Likes
    Anytime a sealed system is opened to the atmosphere, the filter/driers should be changed!

Post Likes
    Agree with both other posters, change the filter driers. Now just kinda curious, are we changing from fixed orfice to TXV or swapping out the original TXV's for a different size or something? Sounds like it might be a good story here?

Post Likes
    dnt:

Nothing too interesting. I have two units, one for upstairs one for downstairs. They connected the condensers up backwards on the furnaces (upstairs on downstairs, downstairs on upstairs). So while they are at it I requested that they convert me from fixed orfice to TXV. They have to open the system anyway, and my question would have been more generic but I didn't want to go into too much detail. Had they just been moving the AC units I would have asked if opening the system would require new Filter Dryers.

Anyway....New house, HVAC guys own me a "free system turn up" (part of the deal they have with the builder), and they connected the condensers to the wrong inside units.

I asked if while they were out basically redoing each system if they would install TXV's, and they said sure no problem (good thing is because of the mix up they are not charging me labor, just parts).

So they are going to get here first thing in the morning to evac, install the TXV's, check for leaks, pull vac and recharge. Once they are up and running and properly charged they are going to spend "several hours" balancing all of the dampers on the duct work. When they installed the duct work they put manual dampers on each duct in the basement. It is all metal duct, units are in the basement. They do this in all of the houses that my builder does...besides the mixup with the condensers I have been very impressed.

The mixup was a understandable mistake. I special requested the dual zone system, builder usually (I mean always) does a single system for both up and down. I had to jump through hoops to upgrade. My house has more sqftage upstairs then down, and most houses have less upstairs. So the theory goes that the install crew put the bigger unit on the first floor because out of instinct. The guys that did the duct work was not the same as the guy that installed the AC outside the house. The linesets were labeled 1st flr and 2nd flr (no indication of what size should be connected where) and he assumed...and you know what happens when you assume.

Post Likes
    Makes perfect sense, thanks for posting back. Glad to hear that you found someone that takes care of the customer, you should have no problem getting these guys to swapout the filter driers. All metal duct with takeoff balancing dampers now thats impressive and rare nowadays. Enjoy your new system it sounds great.

Post Likes
    You have made a wise decision.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in