Dust control - possible with A/C?

Hybrid View

I want to keep dust from coming into the living area from where they will be working on the addition. I put up a zip wall (plastic barrier) in the hallway to block dust - but I noticed that when the central a/c was running, the large grate single return was pulling air past the plastic sheeting and didn't allow me to properly seal the sides b/c the rush of air was going past the sheet. I tried closing the air supply in those rooms and it helped a bit but I would guess that even if I taped up the sides, the air would still flow through, along with the dust.

Long intro but my question is, what can I do to keep dust from coming from the addition area while the A/C is on? Do I not use the a/c?

Don't use the a/c unless you want to pay someone to clean your evap coil $$$

Oh

My son gets all sweaty at night - does that mean I should buy a portable A/C unit for his room?

That would be cheaper than the coil cleaning!

Originally posted by mxylplik2

Long intro but my question is, what can I do to keep dust from coming from the addition area while the A/C is on? Do I not use the a/c?
    I dont know what you have going on there,but I assume it is sheetrock dust.You are correct in not wanting it to enter your airstream.Even though your filter should catch most of it,prevention is your best bet.Sweep up each evening and blow as mush as possible out a window via a fan,ect...
    Good luck.

Yeah - Sheetrock dust and hardwood sanding, etc.

My air handler is all rusted out from the bottom so I don't care if it goes kaput - its due for replacement. But I am concerned that the dust is flowing through the living area - don't want my kids to be breathing that - even if his bedroom is not directly in the path between the addition and the return, again, the living area is going to have a flow of this dust - right?

If so, should I buy a portable a/c - we had a high of about 92 degrees today in Northern NJ. More hot summer days coming.

yes sheet rock dust thats the worst
    definitely clean that up everynite
    get a window unit real cheap in walmart
    also good to have as a spar, ever have a breakdown and we are bussy can always use a window unit before we get there.

even get a $25 shop vac -- sheet rock dust will destroy a shop vac in 6 months or less --

dust will not only clog coils, but will settle on blower fan blades, destroy fan bearings $$$

and, the paper dust from the sheet rock will be a good breading ground for MOLD.

I can remember when there was NO a/c in homes -- before 1960s -- we survived with fans -- open windows -- & sweat!

Depending on the addition, this might/might not be possible, but get a window fan and let it exhaust the air (and hopefully dust) out of the room. If the room has negative pressure, it'll actually draw air IN from the rest of the house and out through the fan. Of course, after major demo/drywall work, the window fan will be caked in the dust, but better the fan than the living space. Likewise, the construction area needs to be cleaned up every night to reduce the amount of dust.

You mention the return... if that's in the construction area you're best off with the window ACs suggested & keep the main system shut down during this.

The return will not be in the construction area. It is in the living space and is pulling air from the rooms where the demo/sheetrocking will be happening.