last night i noticed that my the air coming out of the vent was not very cool. i looked out outside and the fan wsan't turning on the unit. could my fuse be blown?

Senior Tech Guest
    yes.......along with a multitude of other things...best advice is open up the yellow pages a call a reputable hvac company out to have a look.

With your unit running try turning the fan with a long object, give it a good spin, if it begins to turn then it would indicate you have a bad capacitor, if it doesn't turn you may have a bad cond. motor,
    Also, try inspecting the unit, turn the breaker to off position that powers your outside unit, remove the side cover, before putting your hands near any wiring check with a meter to make curtain the power is indeed off, inspect the capacitor, it could look to be swollen or oily which indicates it went bad on you, also while your there inspect the contactor, make sure you don't have any black marking on it and also check the wiring to make sure they didn't become loose or broken.

Hiltontech

Senior Tech Guest
    Originally posted by hiltontech
    With your unit running try turning the fan with a long object, give it a good spin, if it begins to turn then it would indicate you have a bad capacitor, if it doesn't turn you may have a bad cond. motor,
    Also, try inspecting the unit, turn the breaker to off position that powers your outside unit, remove the side cover, before putting your hands near any wiring check with a meter to make curtain the power is indeed off, inspect the capacitor, it could look to be swollen or oily which indicates it went bad on you, also while your there inspect the contactor, make sure you don't have any black marking on it and also check the wiring to make sure they didn't become loose or broken.

Hiltontech
    You are obviously new to the site...re-read the rules and hope you don't get some one electrocuted or cause them to get a screwdriver impaled where it shouldn't be.

you could change the fuses and see but the smartest thing to do is call someone to check it out. most of the time fuses dont just go bad. something cause them to blow
    and that is why it should be looked at

It could be something as simple as your fuse, or it could be something like your contactor or another replacement part, If the latter, replacing the fuse without having it checked could damage other components. Wise to make the phonecall....cheap insurance that you didn't damage anything,and it could have been a lightning strike or something,and you'll need a pro to document it for your insurance.......
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

senior tech, read my quotes

"check with a meter to make curtain the power is indeed off"
    "Also, try inspecting the unit, turn the breaker to off position that powers your outside unit"
    You re-read it

Hiltontech

[Edited by hiltontech on 06-26-2005 at 04:06 PM]

senior tech, read my quotes

"check with a meter to make curtain the power is indeed off"
    "Also, try inspecting the unit, turn the breaker to off position that powers your outside unit"
    You re-read it

Hiltontech

[Edited by hiltontech on 06-26-2005 at 04:06 PM]
    dude, you are telling this guy to jam something "in there" and try to start the fan with power going to the unit. hope you got insurance.

as for the original poster: take the advice, make a call.

No, never said anything about "jamming" something in there, I wanted him to help the motor out by giving it a push, I seen many post here on this site recommening the exact samething I said here today.
    One must use common sense before doing this but it works out fine, I have been doing this method for a longtime and not once did anything go wrong doing this, some of the younger techs may have never heard of this before but the techs who has been aroung as long as I have would understand this method

HiltonTech

Hiltontech,
    there's nothing wrong with trying to help someone out, but you're not dealing with a fellow tech here......you're in the residential section. Telling a homeowner to do the screwdriver start-up to see if the capacitor's bad isn't sound advice IMO, it's telling someone who might not own a meter or know how to use one to mess with a live circuit. And if that motor's grounded and the safety ground fell off.....you get the picture.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Thumbs up

Sorry I posted the wrong info, I really was trying to help this guy out, maybe I forget sometimes who I'm giving advice to.
    Maybe a good idea to delete my post.
    As they say, "it's all good "

HiltonTech

Senior Tech Guest
    Sorry I posted the wrong info, I really was trying to help this guy out, maybe I forget sometimes who I'm giving advice to.

HiltonTech
    The measure of a true man is one who can admit he may have made a mistake...even if minor. I have no doubt you are a worthy technician who likes to help...we just sometimes have to be careful in that we know who we help out is capable of performing the task....SAFELY.

HiltonTech
    You'll do alright here if you just follow the site instructions. Please don't give advise on HO "DIY" repairs.
    Although well meaning, The advise may cause pain and discomfort to someone unqualified to work on HVAC systems. Senior tech had it right the first time....call a qualified HVAC tech to do the repairs.