Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offer food/drinks?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes
    Well, the guys start tomorrow on my addition over the garage. Figure I try this board as most of you HVAC contractor may deal with this from time to time.

Here is my question, should I have some donuts and cold drinks available when the crew gets here? I certainly don't want to start a precedent with these guys but I think it would be a nice gesture and the cold drinks in a cooler would be appreciated in this 90 degree weather we have been having here in NJ (this week will be high 80's).

Does it make any difference to you in your attitude/quality of work if the homeowner does this or not? What would it cost me, $6 a day for ice and 10 bottles of water? Whats in it for me? - maybe a lot/ maybe nothing - but its worth a try if it there is a possibility that the crew goes out of their way to do a little better in their work or alert me to stuff that I should be aware of, etc.

I thought I saw a thread about this but my searches on this topic were unsuccessful.

Post Likes
    I have always appreciated it when a homeowner or GC brings food or drink.

Sure, it helps. Sometimes those "little extras" get done for free.

Sometimes there are jerks that will expect it every day.

If you can afford it, go for it. Absolutely nothing to lose.

Post Likes
    like you say .....what would it cost.....nothing . And why dont you do it as a NICE GUY instead of WHATS IN IT FOR ME . shezzzz

Post Likes
    We do not accept home owner prepared food.....no ofense to owners but just for our safety and to keep from someone expecting someting in return. Now a pop or cookies or something like that is appreciated. As you say , hoping for something in return is why we have learned to not accept too much. We Do the same job and quality no matter if we get a pop or not. But we do appreciate it

Post Likes
    As a service tech I always appreciate it if they offer me a drink when I'm done. I don't expect it and don't adjust the bill but if they did it before hand I would probably go out of my way some.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by dec
    And why dont you do it as a NICE GUY instead of WHATS IN IT FOR ME . shezzzz
    That was my first thought also.
    Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

Post Likes
    No doubt - the snacks and cold drinks in hot weather is something I would WANT to do for anyone working on my house.

I said in my post, that it would be a nice gesture and that it would be appreciated, especially in hot weather. It is not for selfish reasons. I'm not offering drinks thinking, hmm, I hope they'll do extra work for me because I am I giving this drink.

[Edited by mxylplik2 on 06-27-2005 at 12:05 AM]

Post Likes

We

Are just normal people... well most of us.. try to be friendly. I hope they do you a good job.
    Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by mxylplik2
    [B]No doubt - the snacks and cold drinks in hot weather is something I would WANT to do for anyone working on my house.

I said in my post, that it would be a nice gesture and that it would be appreciated, especially in hot weather. It is not for selfish reasons. I'm not offering drinks thinking, hmm, I hope they'll do extra work for me because I am I giving this drink.

Hummmmmmm ....I kind of read where you said it was worth a shot. That really does mean it is an alterterial motive and hoping for something in return. Thats ok tho we all do what we have to do and are the way we are. Hope they do you a good job and Im sure they will appreciate it.

Post Likes
    Water is fine.Thank you.

Post Likes
    as a rule of thumb i think everyone (even those who wont admit it) will work a little harder and do a little better job when they are treated well, its just human nature

as far as whats in it for you well you get to feel like a nice guy for a while

Post Likes
    Originally posted by dhvac
    as a rule of thumb i think everyone (even those who wont admit it) will work a little harder and do a little better job when they are treated well, its just human nature

as far as whats in it for you well you get to feel like a nice guy for a while
    Most likely you will get a better job too.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    Its worth a try only AFTER I am past doing what anyone should do - offer a cold drink on a hot day for someone working hard on your house.

Hey, you caught me - who am I trying to kid? This is purely quid pro quo - you scratch my back, I scratch yours. Isn't this how the world operates? Why in the world would I want to give someone a drink on a hot summer day? Maybe I'll follow-up right after the drinks and ask if they can do some "extra work".

Post Likes

Talking

you probably will

Senior Tech Guest
    I like my steak medium well and my beer just above freezing temp...

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mxylplik2
    Its worth a try only AFTER I am past doing what anyone should do - offer a cold drink on a hot day for someone working hard on your house.

Hey, you caught me - who am I trying to kid? This is purely quid pro quo - you scratch my back, I scratch yours. Isn't this how the world operates? Why in the world would I want to give someone a drink on a hot summer day? Maybe I'll follow-up right after the drinks and ask if they can do some "extra work".
    Beware of "greeks" bearing gifts?

Post Likes
    I offer drinks and something to eat if I am around and its close to a usual meal time to any contractors at my residence; providing that I am there.

It is rare that I am there, but in Mississippi, it gets blistering hot/humid during the summer. As I have a small refrigerator in the Garage of my home, I always leave a note telling them to help themselves to what ever they want from it. It usually has bottled water, ice cream sandwiches, and yes beer as well (mostly beer)

I most always receive a call and/or a note thanking me. It make me feel good and it helps cool the service guys/contractors down.

With the business I am in, its rare that I ever get billed for service calls or equipment costs. Its the least I can do for the HVAC technicians.

Post Likes
    Sounds like the majority of those responding agree that under the circumstances (weather) it is a reasonable gesture to offer the cold drinks (non-alcholic.) The food issue is probably too much as most of these guys will want a break from the jobsite during lunch, and may in fact
    bring their own lunches. The drinks though is in my opinion a gesture made without the expectation of something in return. The best case scenario is because of your goodwill, they DO take extra care, but you are never made aware of it. I agree, do it because it's the right thing to do, not with the expectation of something in return.

I would hate to think the quality of work I contract for is dependent on how much above and beyond I go for those performing the work! The same should apply to us in what we do as well!

Food for thought: When you have been on the receiving end of such a situation, did you do more than you would have if you had not received the drinks? This is one of those questions that can be best answered by looking inward.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Post Likes
    I had a dozen donuts, coffee and pop on hand for my system change out last winter. Lunch was Arbys, I offered to buy but my contractor refused and insisted he pay for his own. Julie picked it up.

I've got him coming back to do a few odds and ends this week (birds getting past the cap on my new chimney liner) and the fact that I have cold homebrew on tap in the basement probably doesn't hurt.

Like some of you say though, my regular HVAC pro always goes the extra mile for me and I don't think it's cause I offer to take care of him with food and drink. He's even been over for warranty work and refused to take a $20 for his trouble/gas money. I'm happy as long as he does what needs to be done to keep us comfortable.

Post Likes
    Dave and Julie, thanks for the input from a 'customer's' perspective, rather than the situations we in the business dream up in our own minds. If you were to ask some of us, we would probably tell you, "yeah, it would really be nice if they let us take a dip in the pool." NOT.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in