Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Talking

you probably will

Senior Tech Guest
    I like my steak medium well and my beer just above freezing temp...

Originally posted by mxylplik2
    Its worth a try only AFTER I am past doing what anyone should do - offer a cold drink on a hot day for someone working hard on your house.

Hey, you caught me - who am I trying to kid? This is purely quid pro quo - you scratch my back, I scratch yours. Isn't this how the world operates? Why in the world would I want to give someone a drink on a hot summer day? Maybe I'll follow-up right after the drinks and ask if they can do some "extra work".
    Beware of "greeks" bearing gifts?

I offer drinks and something to eat if I am around and its close to a usual meal time to any contractors at my residence; providing that I am there.

It is rare that I am there, but in Mississippi, it gets blistering hot/humid during the summer. As I have a small refrigerator in the Garage of my home, I always leave a note telling them to help themselves to what ever they want from it. It usually has bottled water, ice cream sandwiches, and yes beer as well (mostly beer)

I most always receive a call and/or a note thanking me. It make me feel good and it helps cool the service guys/contractors down.

With the business I am in, its rare that I ever get billed for service calls or equipment costs. Its the least I can do for the HVAC technicians.

Sounds like the majority of those responding agree that under the circumstances (weather) it is a reasonable gesture to offer the cold drinks (non-alcholic.) The food issue is probably too much as most of these guys will want a break from the jobsite during lunch, and may in fact
    bring their own lunches. The drinks though is in my opinion a gesture made without the expectation of something in return. The best case scenario is because of your goodwill, they DO take extra care, but you are never made aware of it. I agree, do it because it's the right thing to do, not with the expectation of something in return.

I would hate to think the quality of work I contract for is dependent on how much above and beyond I go for those performing the work! The same should apply to us in what we do as well!

Food for thought: When you have been on the receiving end of such a situation, did you do more than you would have if you had not received the drinks? This is one of those questions that can be best answered by looking inward.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

I had a dozen donuts, coffee and pop on hand for my system change out last winter. Lunch was Arbys, I offered to buy but my contractor refused and insisted he pay for his own. Julie picked it up.

I've got him coming back to do a few odds and ends this week (birds getting past the cap on my new chimney liner) and the fact that I have cold homebrew on tap in the basement probably doesn't hurt.

Like some of you say though, my regular HVAC pro always goes the extra mile for me and I don't think it's cause I offer to take care of him with food and drink. He's even been over for warranty work and refused to take a $20 for his trouble/gas money. I'm happy as long as he does what needs to be done to keep us comfortable.

Dave and Julie, thanks for the input from a 'customer's' perspective, rather than the situations we in the business dream up in our own minds. If you were to ask some of us, we would probably tell you, "yeah, it would really be nice if they let us take a dip in the pool." NOT.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

I know I appreciate it when some one offers be a ice cold drink when working in the heat.
    Last year I hired some one to do some landscaping for me here at my home, they told me at the end of the job that they appreciated the chips, cold drinks and also coffee in the morning, it seemed that it made everything run better.

Whenever I have workmen at our house, whether tradesmen or laborers, I always offer coffee in the morning and cool water during the day. I would only offer food if I was going to be eating and they didn’t have anything. If they work late I will offer a beer.

I live in Texas and no one can do decent work outside if they don’t have a supply of cool water. Most workmen do bring their own, but making sure there is water handy is just necessary for safe work.

The rest of it is common courtesy. My mama taught me "don’t eat in front of people if you don’t have enough for everybody". When I get home in the evening, I’m gonna have a beer. If you’re still there working on my house, I gonna offer you one. Nothing else seems right.

on the other hand...

there have also been days where i was totally parched, and dieing of thirst, and the h.o. doesn't even think to offer a drink.

for the most part i stock myself up with drinks and snacks for the entire day, but if I happen to come out of your attic, dripping in sweat, and barely breathing enough to say, "i'm finished"...please offer me a piece of ice or something..."mr gretz!"

wow, sorry...flashback.

As a service tech, i find that most home owners do not offer drinks. I usually carry my own. there are some customers that will ask if i would like something to eat or drink. if i have something, i tell them so. just out of the truth.

Drinks, however are always welcome as long as you dont go too much out of the way!

Talking Southern Hospitality

I find it amusing that a guy from NJ has to ask how to show hospitality to someone in their home. Anyone else find this interesting or amusing?

Some things we just know in the South.

I recommend you make the workers some Sweet Tea and cookies/doughnuts are always nice. Biscuits with molassas or honey is good too. Bagels are bad.

Remember in the South we have a saying: Biscuits are like Bagels, except they are warm, soft, and delicious.

Makes me proud to be American by Birth and Southern by the Grace of God.

Hows that Southern Hospitality,if installers are yankees.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast