Thread: Trane vs Lennox

Post Likes

Trane vs Lennox

Ok, so looking to get a AC new system in South Florida. The company I have dealt with on my repairs and I have been very happy with quoted a Trane, another local company who a releative worked for and is a rather large local co quoted Lennox.

Both systems are 3 ton 16 SEER straight cool with 10k heat strip. We really don't use the heat that much.

I have a few questions and am not sure about the answers as both company reps gave different answers, the Trane company person is sales/tech, the Lennox seemed like more sales only but he has been with the company for along time.

1) Is there a quality difference or warranty handling difference between Trane & Lennox? Both are 10yr parts, though the trane is 2yr labor and the Lennox is 1yr labor warranties.

2) The Trane guy said my current return is too small and they would have to add a 2nd return, the Lennox guy said the return size was not an issue.

3) The Lennox guy said we could get FPL (local power co) to do a duct preasure test to check for attic leaks after the system is installed and they (lennox co) would come back out for FPL's credit payment (it would amount to about 2hrs labor) and would seal/fix (short of rebuilding) any duct issues FPL found. I have not talked to the Trane people about this.

4) The Lennox system is a little over $300 (i think that is ok to post?) cheaper than the Trane.

I kinda would prefer to work with the Trane people as they have always seemed straight up, I will probably call them and see what they can do on price. I am currently waiting for a 3rd company to come by in a little bit for a quote. I am especially confused on the return size issue though.

Thanks for any/all help.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joe80x86 View Post
    Ok, so looking to get a AC new system in South Florida. The company I have dealt with on my repairs and I have been very happy with quoted a Trane, another local company who a releative worked for and is a rather large local co quoted Lennox.

Both systems are 3 ton 16 SEER straight cool with 10k heat strip. We really don't use the heat that much.

I have a few questions and am not sure about the answers as both company reps gave different answers, the Trane company person is sales/tech, the Lennox seemed like more sales only but he has been with the company for along time.

1) Is there a quality difference or warranty handling difference between Trane & Lennox? Both are 10yr parts, though the trane is 2yr labor and the Lennox is 1yr labor warranties.

2) The Trane guy said my current return is too small and they would have to add a 2nd return, the Lennox guy said the return size was not an issue.

3) The Lennox guy said we could get FPL (local power co) to do a duct preasure test to check for attic leaks after the system is installed and they (lennox co) would come back out for FPL's credit payment (it would amount to about 2hrs labor) and would seal/fix (short of rebuilding) any duct issues FPL found. I have not talked to the Trane people about this.

4) The Lennox system is a little over $300 (i think that is ok to post?) cheaper than the Trane.

I kinda would prefer to work with the Trane people as they have always seemed straight up, I will probably call them and see what they can do on price. I am currently waiting for a 3rd company to come by in a little bit for a quote. I am especially confused on the return size issue though.

Thanks for any/all help.
    If it were me, I'd go with the company that you feel is going to do a quality install AND take care of you after the sale. If the company you've been using is who you feel most comfortable with, go with them. Brand doesn't really mean a whole lot, they're both good. I'm a Lennox guy, but Trane equipment is pretty good too. It doesn't matter what equipment you buy if it's installed poorly, you're going to have problems. Quality install is the key. There are a few recommendations I would make though. I would consider going with a heat pump instead of just A/C. Although you don't need heat that often, the heat pump will be less expensive to operate for heating than the strip heat will be. Either way you go, I would recommend a variable speed blower in the air handler. This is going to get the most efficiency out of your system, whether you go with A/C or a heat pump. My suggestion: go with the company that gives you that warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

Post Likes
    It's a pain for us, a non Lennox dealer to get parts, especially warranty. Not an issue if you always use a Lennox dealer. Trane is not an issue for us, even though we aren't a dealer of them either.

Hmmm, needs more return. Probably right. Wouldn't be telling you that if it didn't I'd think. Do you know what size it is? How long? 1 return or many?

Post Likes
    Both pieces of equipment offer high quality.
    What BaldLoonie is refering to is that Lennox dealers are responsible for having replacement parts themselves and Trane uses a local wholesaler distributer so usually parts are on the shelf for Trane and you might have to wait a few days for a Lennox part.
    If for whatever reason you have a disagreement with the Lennox dealwer are there more good ones in your area?Chances are there are more Trane3 dealers because of the wholesaler network.
    With either Trane or Lennox you want to get a VS blower to deal with humidity.
    Lastly no dealer is going to tell you ,you need ductwork changes if you don't need it.That would put him a lot higher than the compition on his bid.
    Good luck

Post Likes
    Both should have 10yr parts. The labor warranty you're speaking of is probably through the dealer only. You can opt for a 10yr, parts & labor warranty from either manufacturer. This should cover all of the components of the system, that are internal OEM components of the unit. External components or optional accessories would have to be specifically added to the extended warranty. I would strongly suggest the extended warranty. If you and the installing company happen to have a falling out, the extended warranty can be picked up by any dealer of the respective manufacturer, (might have a very small transfer fee).

The company I work for is a dealer for both, and both have their fair share of pro's and con's. I used to like Lennox more, but as of late I've been leaning toward Trane.

Keep in mind. If you have a compressor failure or coil failure on the 3rd-10th year, only having the dealer labor warranty, you will have to pay for refrigerant, 3-6hrs in labor (depending on the company), and any cleanup components needed. This could set you back over 1k.

If I were to choose a unit today to install in my parents house, it would probably be Trane. I like the way that they take care of most issues. Instead of putting a bandaid on it, they change the way they produce the product, (if there is a significant number of units that have the failures). Some may disagree with my choice, or statements, but this is what I see from my little part of the world.

I agree that the most important part of the process is the installation and maintenance. However, I also believe if you buy cheap builder's grade type manufacturer products, don't expect to get a Mercedes for Kia prices. There is a difference...
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Thank you everyone.

As a follow up the third guy just left and will get back with me tomorrow because he wants to run a load calc. Prior to quoting.

The info about the Lenox parts helps as I do want a system that will be easily servicable should anything happen. I never realized replacing a compressor would cost that much or take that much time but I suppose the lines have to be flushed and there is other work, not quite as simple as unplugging a cable and plugging it back in.

@BaldLoonie: The system is on a "table" in the corner of our garage, the existing return is a 20x20 about 15" off the kitchen floor, the additional return would be but on the dining room wall as the wall area form an L around the AC Table.

@Big Sky: I guess while I have been happy with the service I have recived from the Trane company I am comfortable with the Lennox co too. Also the third one does American Standard (Trane ) and they have done work for a couple of my clients new construction/remodel projects and I have always felt their techs were very professional, the owner is also the landlord for another customer of mine. So I am releatively comfortable with all 3 companies which of course doesn't help with the decision especially considering the close prices.

Post Likes
    @Big Sky: I guess while I have been happy with the service I have recived from the Trane company I am comfortable with the Lennox co too. Also the third one does American Standard (Trane ) and they have done work for a couple of my clients new construction/remodel projects and I have always felt their techs were very professional, the owner is also the landlord for another customer of mine.So I am releatively comfortable with all 3 companies which of course doesn't help with the decision especially considering the close prices.
    You sure are making it hard on yourself, aren't you?! At least it sounds like you have some very compentant contractors to choose from. I'm sure there's a lot people on this forum that would love to have the problem you have. Good luck in your search. It almost sounds like you can't go wrong with whichever contractor you decide to go with.

Post Likes
    Got another question:

The American Standard quote is about the same as the Trane quote (trane just came out with a $1000 instant rebate today though). The AS guy is quoting an AS thermostat and the Trane quote has a Honeywell TS. Do thermostats really make that much of a difference? I mean the AS guy says the AS stat is $200 more than the honeywell??? They are both programable stats though, I dont have the model #s for either so I can't really research, but is there a quality difference?

I find it hard to beleive in this day and age that a thermostat would make any significant difference as long as it is functioning properly and I would think Honeywell would know how to make decent stats as I see them in offices everywhere.

Post Likes
    Got another question:

The American Standard quote is about the same as the Trane quote (trane just came out with a $1000 instant rebate today though). The AS guy is quoting an AS thermostat and the Trane quote has a Honeywell TS. Do thermostats really make that much of a difference? I mean the AS guy says the AS stat is $200 more than the honeywell??? They are both programable stats though, I dont have the model #s for either so I can't really research, but is there a quality difference?

I find it hard to beleive in this day and age that a thermostat would make any significant difference as long as it is functioning properly and I would think Honeywell would know how to make decent stats as I see them in offices everywhere.
    Thermostats can make a huge difference, especially if you have a multi stage furnace, heat pump or A/C. Some can help control humidity or dehumidify in the summer. Honeywell makes really good stats, they're about the only ones I'll install. I'm not familiar with the AS stat, but there's a good chance that it would just as well as the Honeywell. You don't want to get a multi stage furnace, heat pump or A/C and just install a plain jane stat. You're system won't be as efficient as it can be.

Post Likes
    Just to clarify AS stat = American Standard "matched?" thermostat.

I never realized buying an A/C was worse than a car. LOL.

Post Likes
    AS thermostats are Honeywell thermostats with an American Standard logo on them. AS Gold XM is a Pro 8000 lol

Post Likes
    This^
    American Standard and Trane both have Branded Honeywell touchscreens and they are identical in every way unless we're talking about communicating vs standard thermostats. Its possible that the AS guy is quoting a communicating system. Either way the stats would be a Honeywell product on the inside.

Post Likes
    Cool, I had not thought of the stat so I do have to find out what model Honeywell the Trane guy was planning on giving me. It would appear the AS system would not support their communicating stats so I will assumt he will give me a Silver XI which appears to be a Honeywell FocusPro 6000.

Post Likes
    Sounds about right. For what its worth I really like most Lennox condensers. Even moreso than Trane. The higher end stuff is well designed and built, but the engineering on their air handlers seems to be an afterthought IMO. The design is perfectly functional but its not thoughtful if that makes sense. Trane/AS air handlers are the standard by which I judge the rest.

Post Likes
    From my experience I see a lot more 25 year old Lennox units still running than I do Tranes.

Post Likes
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Trane/AS now making their own stats? I'm pretty sure I heard this in last weeks Trane webinar. They are using the home automation units like they use for the Shlage link system, with Z-wave. This will allow you to monitor your system online, or by cell phone. They also offer security cameras, door locks, light controls etc...
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in