Exclamation

I normally use the 3M red labeled air filters in my HVAC system, changing them every month or two depending on run time. Not the best filtration, but it seems to be better than a el-cheapo fiberglass filter as long as I remember to keep an eye on it.

A few weeks ago I was at the big box store and saw XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXX XXXXXX air filters. Hmmmm, 3 of these for about the price of one 3M. Being the cheap so and so that I am, I bought the three pack. Last week it was time to install a new filter so I opened the three pack.

I noticed right away that the filter frame was about 25% less thick as the 3M and left a considerable gap in the filter rack to pull basement air into the air handler. I made sure that the filter was seated against the AHU cabinet to minimize unfiltered air from entering.

Fast forward to tonight, one week later. I heard the AHU kick on as normal and then heard the air flow decrease. When I checked the filter I found that it had sucked into the blower compartment.

If anyone is interested in the remaining two BRAND NEW filters, you will find them on top of my trash can on Friday.

Live and learn.......

[Edited by dbx on 06-27-2005 at 10:16 AM]

at least you got them on sale

So you enrolled in the school of hard kknocks.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

3M filters are much better for filtration. Fiberglass is better for airflow. Which do you need more? It depends on the system. But it's a fact that the overwhelming majority of systems don't have proper airflow. Throw those 3Ms in there and they have even less. Sure you'll have slightly improved air quality. But it's more placebo than anything else in most cases.

[Edited by Irascible on 06-26-2005 at 10:59 PM]

Kinda sounds like you may be sucking through a smaller area then you should, hope thats not 5- tons of cooling sucking trough 1- 16 x 25 filter .....see that crap a lot lol. Funny how often too small of filter area is used.

Originally posted by dec
    Kinda sounds like you may be sucking through a smaller area then you should, hope thats not 5- tons of cooling sucking trough 1- 16 x 25 filter .....see that crap a lot lol. Funny how often too small of filter area is used.

Yup, and an undersized filter area for the necessary CFM will raise the velocity and suck the filter into the blower just as happened to him.