horizontal loop vs deep well

I have a choice between two systems.

One is a 3 ton envison water furnace unit with two 250 2 pipe horizontal ltrenches with loops at 5' and 3', 2000' total and the other is a geocomfort 3 ton with three 200' deep wells. Both are close in price with the Wf a little more expensive but doin a few more labor intensive options like replacing some duct work.

I have read that the deep wells are more efficent. but also read where there is little diffence as long as the horozontal has enough pipe.

Would like opinion. both contractors seem to be competant and have referecnes.

THX

Just to clarify...do you mean you have a choice between horizontal closed loop or vertical bore closed loop?

Don't forget to include investigate the costs than involve other non-HVAC issues - landscape damage and restoration and potential problems with excavation and drilling (eg- "unforseen site conditions" such as rock, relocation of utilities, sewer and water lines, septic system etc. I seems to me like the wells would be better because less surface are is disturbed .

My choice is made now. you are right about disturbing all the land. I am int he critcal area as well and the state was having a fit.

I am going to go 200' deep well. I was still going to go with the contractor that installs geocomfort except now he has changed his mind. Said his original quote was to the bone and he has to adjcst since it has been 45 days while I got state approval. He raised his bid 1500.00 and stated that the cost of copper and equipment has risen in 45 days.

That said he is in line with the water furnace installer who said his load caculations require he increase my supply from a 10 to a 12 inch line. The geocomfort said it was fine. The water furnace guy is still a little higher but seems to know his stuff including adding an additional hot water tank to my system for the de super heater. The geo comfort guy said I didn't need two tanks and was going to hook up to the existing.

All said, it boils down to contractors now and I had a signed bid formt eh geo installer that he will not honor now. Said he still wants my business and if he gets a break from the well driller he willl pass it along... right.

thanks for input

I was sort of surprised that the prices were the same. I sort of expected the wells to be more. I wonder if that +$1500 has more to do with well drilling cost.

[QUOTE=folly5678;8554881]My choice is made now. you are right about disturbing all the land. I am int he critcal area as well and the state was having a fit.

if you read your contract for the wells it should state that if casing is needed it is extra. and casing is 72.00 a foot. just had a friend who had a 7200.00 overrun because of needing 100 feet of casing. with a horizontal system you will not have to worry about casing but more of the land will require care in the spring. i am going with the horizontal to avoid the cost of casing.

Cool Equipment is key

I've worked on both kinds of equiptment and the Envision unit is the cadillac of all the geo's out there. I just pput one in my dad's house a little while ago.
    As far as the closed loop options go, I've also done both and the horizontal bore doesn't disturb very much yard at all. I've been on dozens of vertical loop installs and the drilling mud is a mess and if they don't use a vac to clean it up it will take awhile to go away, also if they don't grout the wells correctly you could end up with lots of air pockets inthe wells and essentially have an air source heat pump and we all know how well those work when its cold out.

In performance no difference between vertical vs horizontal as long as designed properly. However the cost of the vertical will generally cost more due to drilling costs. You will be putting more pipe in the ground on the horizontal to perform properly but that extra cost in pipe still wont be more than drilling vertical wells.

the driller makes the difference

We do both, horizontal is usually cheaper but is better in good soil. Vertical does have a smaller footprint, we own our own rig it is on tracks drills a 4.75 inch hole. We could not get local drillers to not tear up a yard or keep it clean. Another great tool is our vactron to suck up any mess we do make. We drill with air which is a big help.

Hmm

sounds like mo geo man has got it going on, I'm envious of your set up. We sub out the drilling and they get the loop profits

How close are the horizontal lines to each other?
    If customer wants to put in a pool or home extension later vertical might be way to go.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

Question LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION ...

Quote Originally Posted by folly5678 View Post
    I have a choice between two systems.

One is a 3 ton envison water furnace unit with two 250 2 pipe horizontal ltrenches with loops at 5' and 3', 2000' total and the

other is a geocomfort 3 ton with three 200' deep wells.

Would like opinion.
    THX
    ... And you're located Where?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities