We have contractors coming in tomorrow morning at 5am (yes I have to be their with them that early in the morning)to begin preparation to install a 40 ton a/h in the kitchen/cafe area of our hotel, we're scraping everything and building from the ground up, the first thing to come down is the walls surrounding the a/h that we currently have and begin to setup the beast, reason I'm excited is that i never been involved in such a project as large as this one being I deal mostly with central units, you know I installed them, repaired them slept on them, you get the idea, my engineer asked me to be hands on with the contractor to try to kinda of get an understanding to what it takes to bring one of these huge a/h to life and I'm pumped up for my job task for this coming week, the contractor who will be installing the unit knows I love learning all about the larger a/h so he's all for it, he knows I will soon begin going to school for commercial refrigeration in a few months, in fact this contractor has helped answer a lot of questions for me in ref. to
    commercial refrigeration.
    We did everything we could to help the kitchen workers, these ppl have been working in heat at about 80 degrees, but the 1981 a'h is just to far gone so we got the ok from corp. to install a new one..
    Anyone here work on the larger a\h? and if so do you like working on them?

HiltonTech

The gig I just left had 25 and 40 ton split system air handlers with variable frequency drive controlled motors. They also featured a two circuit evap coil, one with two TXV's and the other with four.

The job I just began this past week has many more air handlers...the largest one utilizes a 100 horse motor and this thing literally towers over my head...and I'm 6' 4" tall. I'm just waiting for the day I get to walk inside that thing to change the belts.

Enjoy your week with this new install. I know what it's like to get excited about stuff like this, especially the first go-around. You will learn a lot, more than you may think, and you'll be in a better position to keep it running well for the cooks and wait staff than if you just turned a blind eye to it.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Thanks shophound,
    I guess it's excited for me being it's new for me, I guess if I did this type of work day in and out I would say otherwise :

HiltonTech

So what's your new gig, hound?

Hilton, your new baby chilled water or DX?

Chilled water.
    A 100 ton was installed before I began working for this hotel, it was lifted 15 stories and dropped on the roof,
    it was put together in a very large room, once it was installed I was told that the large Trane a\h did work as it should have so we had contractors who worked for hours on end to find the problem which they found the problem, the problem had something to do with the t-stat was what I was told, I just hope that the 40 ton goes smooth this coming week.

HiltonTech

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    So what's your new gig, hound?

Bald One, I'm now with the Amon Carter Museum in Ft. Worth, Texas as central plant operator assistant. It's my first central plant/chiller gig and I'm loving it.

Hiltontech, hope I didn't come across as a killjoy...you have every right to be excited. Hell, I wake up each morning excited now that I'm finally living the dream job. Nothing wrong with being like a kid in a candy store. Enjoy.

• Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

if you have problems, try commercial forum

Thanks guys, well today the handler didn't arrive on site , I was told it should be there tomorrow, one of the walls were torn down today so when the handler comes in they will begin the install, it should be done by Friday or Saturday.
    Today though was one of those days that didn't go right for us at all.

HiltonTech