Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/C Replacement

Got a call from a referral, the customer had their regular company out and were told they had a leak and they needed a new unit. The call to me was for a second opinion, and they were not confident of their first co. Upon reviewing their service paperwork they have added ref. the last 2 years and this year the tech boosted their system with nitrogen to 305 PSIG, came back two days later and it had lost some pressure (really ?) so he said they needed a new unit. When I talked to them I asked if he had located the leak, they said he thought it was in the condenser coil but had not showed them. I checked the pressure and it was about 265 PSIG so I took my D-Tek and started looking, pulled the condenser top and sniffed around the coil no indication. next checked the lines and valves, ok. Walked into the garage and whoa nelly the detector went off, checked the lines and the penetration as the siding had recently been replaced, no indication. Next checked the line entrance to the coil cut in, there it was in spades, open the can and you can see it BIG TIME.

The SL header was leaking at about 5 of the connections, so i recommend a new evap, as I don't want to chase this one as it falls apart. Customer decides to go all new so here it is.
    The old.

Found these little beauties under the insulation.

Now for the new.

In addition was able to raise the coil and eliminate a lowboy condensate pump and go with a gravity drain.

No codes on how close to gas meter? I would have to move it 5 feet from gas meter to get it to pass here.

I agree about the codes on proximity to the gas meter. They don't like it out here because the contactor can cause a slight spark. On a side note, that has to be the weirdest gas meter I've ever seen. None of ours look even close to that. Also, please educate me. What are the feet on the condenser for? We just set ours directly on the pads out here.

Other than that, it looks like a really nice install.

looks pretty good. what's that quad/damper blade deelie doing?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Where is that duct on the right hand side going?? Is it a return or supply?

Originally posted by mayguy

hummmmm.......kinda looks like everything is under concrete or maybe its a split level. I always hated having galvinized ductwork in concrete like that ....galvinized or not its going to rust out eventally. Norlocks fine on the round ductwork but what do you do with the rectangular duct. Never tried tar or anything but must be some tricks I never heard of.

Originally posted by trane
    No codes on how close to gas meter? I would have to move it 5 feet from gas meter to get it to pass here.
    Yes, but as this was a push/pull we kept things the same.

Originally posted by dorrmann
    I agree about the codes on proximity to the gas meter. They don't like it out here because the contactor can cause a slight spark. On a side note, that has to be the weirdest gas meter I've ever seen. None of ours look even close to that. Also, please educate me. What are the feet on the condenser for? We just set ours directly on the pads out here.

Other than that, it looks like a really nice install.
    Feet are standard 3" pump ups, I use them on all my installs, I think it helps the unit stay cleaner and allows better drainage and keeps the base pan from rusting.

Originally posted by tinner73
    looks pretty good. what's that quad/damper blade deelie doing?
    If i told you I'd have to kill you

Upstairs supply in 2 story house.

Originally posted by dec

hummmmm.......kinda looks like everything is under concrete or maybe its a split level. I always hated having galvinized ductwork in concrete like that ....galvinized or not its going to rust out eventally. Norlocks fine on the round ductwork fine on the round ductwork but what do you do with the rectangular duct. Never tried tar or anything but must be some tricks I never heard of.
    I agree but they seem to last quite long out here, and thats how all the new install hacks do it. We're lucky if they brace the can so the concrete doesn't partially crush it. BTW what is Norlocks I've never heard that term.

Looks good! My only gripe is why not use wire-ties on the lineset. Duct tape flakes over time, I always use the 10" black wire ties. Just remember to clip off the ends when you are done, makes for a much cleaner look.

Josh

Originally posted by seatonheating
    Looks good! My only gripe is why not use wire-ties on the lineset. Duct tape flakes over time, I always use the 10" black wire ties. Just remember to clip off the ends when you are done, makes for a much cleaner look.

Josh
    I use electrical tape it lasts and works the best in my opinion. I don't like using wire ties because they compress the insulation and causing it to crack and start to deteriorate prematurely.

Originally posted by dorrmann
    What are the feet on the condenser for? We just set ours directly on the pads out here.
    The feet are to raise the unit off the ground and prevent it from sucking up dirt, leaves, etc. which are found at ground level.

I'll trade you coil change outs anytime, spent two hrs in attic yesterday evening 115* good ole houston tx...

that looks as if it would take 30 min..... nice job,,

What did you use to make your bends?

My only question is how did you take off the gas meter. Here we can not take it off. PGE won't let us remove those.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast