Got a call from a referral, the customer had their regular company out and were told they had a leak and they needed a new unit. The call to me was for a second opinion, and they were not confident of their first co. Upon reviewing their service paperwork they have added ref. the last 2 years and this year the tech boosted their system with nitrogen to 305 PSIG, came back two days later and it had lost some pressure (really ?) so he said they needed a new unit. When I talked to them I asked if he had located the leak, they said he thought it was in the condenser coil but had not showed them. I checked the pressure and it was about 265 PSIG so I took my D-Tek and started looking, pulled the condenser top and sniffed around the coil no indication. next checked the lines and valves, ok. Walked into the garage and whoa nelly the detector went off, checked the lines and the penetration as the siding had recently been replaced, no indication. Next checked the line entrance to the coil cut in, there it was in spades, open the can and you can see it BIG TIME.
The SL header was leaking at about 5 of the connections, so i recommend a new evap, as I don't want to chase this one as it falls apart. Customer decides to go all new so here it is.
Found these little beauties under the insulation.
Now for the new.
In addition was able to raise the coil and eliminate a lowboy condensate pump and go with a gravity drain.