Question

We are adding a garage with an office above it for my husband. We are trying to determine which will be the best source for heating and cooling. We prefer a heat pump system due to energy efficiency. Can anyone help answer which is the better product and the better manufacturer?

We have looked at Continental Electric 18,000BTU, Soleus 12,000BTU mini split and the Carrier 12,000BTU and the Amana 12,000BTU PTAC.

The room size is ~390sf.

Thank you.

Most minis lack backup heat so if you aren't in a very mild climate, you'll need something for cold weather heating. Baseboard electric most likely. PTHPs can have up to 5kw so you wouldn't need anything else.

Minis will be more bucks to install but quieter.

My favorite PTHP is GE's 5500/5800. Only models I know of that will run backup WITH the compressor. Also quietest I've heard. And GE has their own service department if you have a problem.

Originally posted by slammersmom
    Can anyone help answer which is the better product and the better manufacturer?

We have looked at Continental Electric 18,000BTU, Soleus 12,000BTU mini split and the Carrier 12,000BTU and the Amana 12,000BTU PTAC.
    room size ~390sf.
    SANYO ductless heat pump or Mitsubishi Electric "Mr. Slim" products should also be reviewed.

http://www.sanyo.com/industrial/HVAC...log_pdf/08.pdf

http://www.mrslim.com/
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Mini Splits: Cost more, quieter, inside unit can be installed anywhere - even on an interior wall, outside unit can be installed somewhere where it's not seen by everyone.

PTAC's: Cost less, noisier (but not bad if you get a good one), must be installed through an exterior wall for all to see, available with electric heat for cold climates where heatpumps can't work very well.

Neither is better in my opinion, there just different.

And I'll second Baldloonie's opinion that GE are the best. If you're considering another brand, start another thread about that first, there are some really bad PTACS out there.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

there are some really bad PTACS out there.

can you give an example

like whats bad about them

If you do go with a PTAC consider getting it set up with an external thermostat (instead of the built-in controls). The built-in ones can have a hard time sensing the temperature of the room; they tend to just sense the temperature near the unit unless you set them up to run the fan constantly.