Originally posted by apowers
I looked in the manual that came with my evaporator coil. There is a table titled "Coil Static Pressure Reading (Dry Coil)". It has the following info for my model at 1600 cfm (doesn't show any other cfm value):

.23 in. w.c. for Dry
.29 in. w.c. for Wet

From what I understand, my unit runs at 1985 cfm at the maximum speed for cooling.
Your contractor took your ESP readings in the correct places as you stated in your opening paragraph, at the blower opening and at the top of the furnace.

What it looks like to me that might be confusing everyone is he just took it a step further and broke the supply side ESP down and the return side ESP down.

Your return ESP was -.32 on his meter.
Your supply side was + .67 on his meter.
This gave you a TESP of .99

Your coil is fine as noted by your referencing to your literature of a .29 W.C. wet coil. This is exactly what the contractor showed in his breakdown.

You need to lose about .26 from your supply side ESP which will get you down to .73 TESP and this will start to give your blower motor some relief.

Next you need to work on the return and try to gain .10 from it.

This will get you down to a TESP of .63 where your system could live and try to work.

I also noticed you stated you have a 5 ton system, yet the literature shows 1600 CFM. Is this a 4 ton coil you have?